Unwanted file split when capturing m2t from Sony Z5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 6th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Unwanted file split when capturing m2t from Sony Z5

Not sure what I am doing wrong here.

I'm capturing rather long video clips from a Sony Z5. The clips are around 25 to 45 minutes long. For some reason when capturing (using the Vegas capture tool) the files are splitting at seemingly random points in the capture. these could be at any time or file size. Relevant points to note:

- I have unchecked Enable HDV Scene Detection.
- Fail on dropped frames is checked (I get no report of dropped frames so I am guessing this isn't the culprit)
- The disk I am capturing to is NTFS
- Vegas Pro 9e/64 bit under Win7/64 bit
- I have identical footage taken on a second camera (a Canon XL2) which captures intact
- I have recaptured one tape which split at a different point second time around
- I have recaptured another tape which didn't split at all second time around. Aaaarrrggghhh!

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Give HDVSplit a try.
It's free so you have nothing to lose.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Mike. I certainly will (although I'm still interested to know why this is happening!). The upsetting part is that I will have to recapture ten tapes!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Ian, I rarely work with HDV footage but this issue keeps rearing its ugly head on the forums from time to time :-(
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Likewise - I borrowed the Sony camera from a producer at the BBC for a short while to get a little practice in before making the move to HD. I am one of the many who foolishly assumed I'd get great footage that I could mix with SD footage on the Vegas timeline without any problem. BIG mistake!

I will check out the other forums to see what they have to say (couldn't find any relevant posts here though).
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...