New Computer Ordered - Vegas Migration Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 21st, 2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Major Player

New Computer Ordered - Vegas Migration Question

Due to some recent issues with my dual core editing computer I decided to upgrade about six months earlier than planned and today ordered a new Dell XPS 7100 with the 6 core AMD 1090T chip, ATI Radeon 5870 1 gb graphics card, 12 gb RAM, and a Blu-Ray burner.

My current set up is Sony Vegas Pro 8 that is an upgrade of Sony Vegas Pro 6. It is 32 bit operating on Vista. I am now mad at myself for not taking advantage of Sony's November deal to upgrade to 10 for only $150 since I will now want to run in 64 bit. Here are my questions;

1. To install Vegas 6 Pro on the new computer will I first have to install Vegas Pro 6 then 8? I ask because I bought 6 from B&H at a clearance price for the sole purpose of upgrading to 8 when it came out and thought I just needed the license number and could install just the upgrade. Sony made me install 6 on the computer first and then upgrade to 8.

2. Until Sony has a sale again and I can upgrade to Vegas 10 for 64 bit would it be worth it to try and run 8 on 64 bit? I saw someone say that 8.1 was 64 bit capable and I only have 8.0c so I assume I would have to update and I don't know if Sony is updating 8 any longer.

3. If I cough up the money to go ahead and get the Vegas 10 update now would I have to install 8 on the new computer first then upgrade or can I go straight to 10?

Last but not least Dell dos not offer firewire as an option anymore on the XPS series so I am going to have to add a firewire card myself. Any warnings or recommendations?
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Just install Vegas 8 64 bit version, it'll be fine.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The Sony Vegas Pro versions are stand alone. That is, they do not look for an already installed earlier version.
Chip Gallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:40 PM   #4
Major Player

Chip, As I described in the original post when I upgraded from 6 to 8 it would not let me do so until I installed 6 on the computer I wanted to install 8 on. That was probably three years ago so hopefully you are correct and that has changed as it was a pain!
Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:42 PM   #5
Major Player

I have several external hard drives hooked up to my current computer that is 32 bit Vista Home Premium. I want to move these to my new 64 bit Windows 7 computer when it gets here and am wondering if there will be any issues with the files on these hard drives?
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:47 PM   #6
Inner Circle

No, you will have no issues with the externals.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks everybody for the answers to my questions!
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...