How to show clip length on timeline? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 26th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Copy the dll and png from the zip file you downloaded into this folder.
Go to the View Menu > Extensions to run it.
Thank you Mike (and Edward Troxel and Gilles Pialat) for your helpful persist ency; alas my Extensions item in the View Menu has always been ghosted. This has been so in all my versions of Vegas since I can remember (V 6.0 but not completely sure of this). After following your instructions this situation hasn't changed; Extensions is, as always, ghosted.

After reading Leif's post I wonder if downloading Excalibur would change this.
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #32
Major Player

I got it now. I downloaded Excalibur and my extensions under View showed up with just Show Event Length in it, which is all that I wanted. Thanks again Mike for your patience and time, and thanks Edward for your tip, and Gilles in the first place for the plugin !
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #33
Major Player

Clarification; Excalibur appeared after reopening Vegas but on first glance I don't see much in there to help me with my work flow. I'll have to take a closer look later.
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #34
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Fierlinger View Post
Clarification; Excalibur appeared after reopening Vegas but on first glance I don't see much in there to help me with my work flow. I'll have to take a closer look later.
I find TONS of stuff in Excalibur to help my work flow. It automates MANY tasks for you. Go to the "About" screen and click on the button to open the documentation. That explains all the various functions.

To clear a few things up:

The "Vegas Application Extensions" folder is not automatically there. It has to be created - either manually or via an installer such as Excalibur. There are many places this folder can be. Some work with ALL installed versions of Vegas. Some only work with a specific version of Vegas. The simplest location for most people is {My Documents}\Vegas Application Extensions.

Any "Custom Commands" placed in that folder will automatically appear in Vegas. However, there are THREE places where extensions can appear:

Edit - Extensions: I honestly don't recall any that show up here but it is a possible place for them to be.

View - Extensions: Any that pop up a GUI should be found here. I have Excalibur, Project Inspector, and Montage Magic that show here. Ultimate S would also appear here. Obviously the length custom command appears here as well.

Tools - Extensions: Many people look here first as this is also where the scripting option is located. I do have one custom command that appears here - Auto Save.

Note: Project Inspector and Auto Save get installed with Excalibur. However, Project Inspector and Auto Save are both free to use and do not expire. Excalibur will expire after 2 weeks unless a valid serial number is purchased and entered.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #35
Major Player

Edward, I appreciate the thought and work that went into Excalibur but you must understand that the technical requirements and editing work flow of animated films can quite differ from anything most of you do here. Many of the functionalities of Excalibur I have already completed in my graphics software before I even import my AVI clips.
Old December 29th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #36
Regular Crew

I found the solution. Made a folder called Vegas Application Extensions under "My Documents". Then copied the files CC_ShowEventhLength.dll, CC_ShowEventhLength.png and the textdocument named CC_ShowEventhLength to this folder. Then looked under View/Extensions and there was "Show Event Length. It is not visible under Tools/Extensions and Edit/Extensions.
Thanks to all who helped me......
Leif Skoglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Yep that solved it for me too, in XP 32bit. Many Thanks
Dugi Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #38
Trustee

Solved for me with Windows 7. 32-bit as well.
Many thanks!
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...