Sandy Bridge i7 2600K - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 27th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #16
Regular Crew

The PCIe Adapter Card works fine under Windows 7 64bit.

I will most likely go with the Deluxe motherboard since the others MB share different PCIe
Robert St-Onge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #17
Inner Circle

That's what I would do also...sandy bridge is said to chew up video and spit it out pretty well. I bet you'll be quite happy!
Old January 28th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert St-Onge View Post
I am planning on using my 2-Port eSATA PCIe Adapter Card which is hooked up to 2 Rosewill RSV-S4-X 4 Bay SATA to eSATA enclosures.
Yes, I think that will work. The only tricky part is to make sure you that you use an eSATA port (such as a PCIe x1 card) that supports port replication (i.e. multiple SATA connections over a single cable) in the hardware and the driver. That's one reason why many enclosures (such as your Rosewill) come with their own eSATA PCIe card.

For what it's worth, my experience with eSATA port replication is very positive, but I've never been able to get over 90 MB/s. I've tried 2 different 4-disk esata enclosures and 3 different PCIe x1 eSATA cards. That's about the same speed as a single drive by itself. The issue, as I've read, is that eSATA port replication has to split the bandwidth among all four devices (like the old IDE master/slave shared the same cable and same bandwidth). While it's theoretically possible to get really fast speeds (3.0 Gbps SATA 2.0 should be enough, even split among four devices), in practice I can't get anywhere near that. But for my purposes it's fast enough since I'm only using them for backup and archival.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks, so I placed my order 2 days ago and should be receiving all parts this week. Will have to assemble the computer in the upcoming weeks. I went for the i7 2600 processor and dropped the k option for overclocking as I didn't have much spare time to figure out proper cooling and I am really looking for system stability.
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:11 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Intel has ordered a recall of Sandy Bridge chips - seems the SATA controller is faulty - see:

Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages
Larry Reavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:31 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Just read about it, bad news, thanks!
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:47 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Well Robert, if you can hang on for about a month or maybe a bit more. What I've read is they will be shipping replacements in about a month or so.

You'll have no trouble getting your money back from where you ordered since you haven't received it yet. You'll just be obligated to wait. Sorry that is happening.

On the other hand, pity the folks who have to take the processor out of their machine and wait for a replacment.

You're in relatively good shape...you are actually one of the lucky ones.
Old January 31st, 2011, 08:55 PM   #23
Regular Crew

You are right Jeff, I am one of the lucky ones.

The reason I was upgrading is because of a tax break which expires today. If it wasn't for that, I would of waited several months, so in my case it ain't dramatic. But I will hold on to the motherboard and request a replacement once they will be made available.

I am always cautious when it comes to upgrading something, unless it needs immediate replacement, I usually plan transitioning over a couple of months..... because you never know!
Old February 8th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Just an update,

Finished building my new computer last week and it is working very well, so is the pcie port multipler on the Rosewill RSV-S4-X 4.

Will have to get a replacement Asus motherboard in a month or 2 because of the Intel recall but otherwise I haven't been facing any bugs so far.

So you can overclock the i7 2600.... which surprised me since it is not a 2600k,.... so I pushed it to about 27% but didn't push it any further because I didn't have proper ventilation and reverted to standard settings after doing a render test.

It's really amazing having 16GB ram over 6GB and using BorisFx motion tracking and other fxs, feels good! Shouldn't be running out of ram for a while.
Old February 8th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert St-Onge View Post
Just an update,

Finished building my new computer last week and it is working very well, so is the pcie port multipler on the Rosewill RSV-S4-X 4.

Will have to get a replacement Asus motherboard in a month or 2 because of the Intel recall but otherwise I haven't been facing any bugs so far.

So you can overclock the i7 2600.... which surprised me since it is not a 2600k,.... so I pushed it to about 27% but didn't push it any further because I didn't have proper ventilation and reverted to standard settings after doing a render test.

It's really amazing having 16GB ram over 6GB and using BorisFx motion tracking and other fxs, feels good! Shouldn't be running out of ram for a while.
Actually, the "plain" i7-2600 is what's called "limited unlocked", which means that overclocking is limited to four speed bins above the stock Turbo frequency (in this case, 3.9GHz is the maximum that you'll see out of that CPU with all four cores operating to 4.2GHz with just a single core in use - and that's with the BCLK stuck at its stock 100MHz). And the Sandy Bridge platform does not run stably at BCLKs above 105MHz or so.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Thanks for the explanation Randall!
Robert St-Onge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...