No render - "The file name is not valid" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 27th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

No render - "The file name is not valid"

When trying to render my movie, I'm getting this message: "An error occured while creating the medium file. The file name is not valid." What is wrong here. I've never had this problem earlier.

I've got a new CPU; the old one was a quad core 2.4, and the new one is a quad core 2.66. Before installing the new one, everything was ok. My mainboard is an Asus P5Q, and I've installed 8gb ram. Have tried this on Vegas Pro 10a and 10c, but no render so far......
Leif Skoglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

you didn't say what filetype. some won't allow longer than 63 letters.
Rob Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Trustee

by any chance are you using none standard characters in the file name?
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I've tried all filetypes and I'm usind standard characters. No render at all in Vegas Pro 10a - 64bit, but no problem to save files with my other computer software. My Vegas software is in a way locked from rendering. Other functions in Vegas are ok. No viruses found when virus-checking my computer.
Windows 7 is rather new for me, but I've used computers a lot since 1985..... Never seen this before.
Old January 28th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #5
Trustee

can you save veggies?

have you tried saving to other locations?

problem with any renders, ei, mpg, avi, audio only?
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:05 AM   #6
Regular Crew

There is no problem when saving *.veg-files. But when using "Render as" I can write the file name/choose fil type, but when starting this message appears at once: "An error occured while creating the medium file. The file name is not valid."

This morning I tried to render to my USB-stick (8gb) and it worked. It also worked when rendering to a file om my hard drives. But when closing Vegas and opening the software again, everything was locked, even my Usb-stick. Something strange is happening here.
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #7
Trustee

very strange.....

i'm not really that qualified to help further - you are logged in as admin? you setup sony as admin?

you upgraded your cpu - did you reinstall everything thereafter?
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I'm logged in as administrator. The only thing I did with my computer was to change the CPU, and nothing else...... I've deinstalled and reinstalled Vegas again with no change.
Old January 28th, 2011, 04:28 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Can you give us an example of a filename that you have tried that didn't work?
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 04:51 AM   #10
Trustee

to be honest i would have reinstalled windows after changing a cpu. i realise that other programs are functioning ok, but all programs run under / through windows and windows itself is installed according to processor - changing the processor withour letting windows install accordingly is, i think, asking for trouble.

i would be looking to do a clean install.... pita, but better than not being able to save / render.
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I've tried different file-names and file-types. That's not the problem.

My Windows 7 is an OEM-version. Wouldn't it be a problem to run W7 after reinstalling/changing CPU, or is the Win 7 OEM licenses only linked to the motherboard?
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #12
Inner Circle

OK, no problem. My point was for you to tell us one or two of the failed filenames you had tried in order to confirm that you weren't causing the problem yourself by inadvertently using an illegal naming convention. You did say that Windows 7 was new to you so it's not unreasonable to think you may have made a mistake, albeit unwittingly.

Personally I like to explore and discount all other avenues before doing things like re-installing Windows ;-)

It was just a thought.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #13
Trustee

And the folder in which you want to save the file has write permissions, right?
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #14
Regular Crew

No problem to save other files in the folder/on the disks.

It's obvious that something has happened here, but I don't understand what caused this problem. I've used W7 the last six months, so I'm rather new to this operating software. At the same time I can't understand that a new(little upgraded) CPU should be the problem. And why could I do two small render tests, and then the software wouldn't do it any more? The only thing I ddid was to close Vegas and open it again........

The best way for me to get rid of this problem is to search for a solution, and as a last thing to do, reinstall if it's allowed to do this with my W7 OEM software and a new CPU. A lot of people has got great problems with the OEM-version of W7 when changing their motherboard.
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #15
Inner Circle

You have tried uninstalling then reinstalling Vegas, yes?

EDIT: ah yes, I see you have. Have you tried both 64 bit and 32 bit? Have you tried a previous version of Vegas?
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...