Vegas 10 MPEG2 Encore Audio Sync Issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 28th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #1
Major Player

Vegas 10 MPEG2 Encore Audio Sync Issues

I've encountered a rather annoying issue with Sony Vegas 10. When I render out a project as a MPEG2 for DVD and use Adobe Encore to master my DVD I find that the video/audio track in the Encore timeline is separated which causes audio drift after a while. When I render using Vegas 9 the video/audio tracks are connected in the Encore timeline and causes no audio sync issues. Does anybody know what Vegas 10 is doing differently?
Attached Thumbnails
Vegas 10 MPEG2 Encore Audio Sync Issues-vegas-10-encore-audio-issue.jpg  
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #2
Trustee

I went through dramas trying to get Vegas to play nice with Encore, I must admit the only way I solved the problems after many many attempts was to render out of Vegas to an intermediate codec and let Encore do the compression.
I just kept getting errors when trying to build the job with the Vegas mpeg2/ m2v-mpa (i tried both ways) files.
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

questions!

1) did the lag increase over time or was it a constant offset?
2) was audio rendered to ac3 (separate stream) or contained within the mpeg-2?

i'm asking as i had a strange interlude recently (Vegas 10a) with my ac3 files lagging a few frames behind the video m2v. i created the DVD with Architect and had been intending to try making one in Encore to see if that was the problem... now i'm wondering if it's a problem with 10a.
Rob Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #4
Trustee

I tried both, mpeg2 and separate streams, both when imported into Encore had the audio showing longer in Encores timeline.
You can shorten/trim the audio in Encore but it never lands/syncs right on a frame, therefore when you create project you get a error.
As said, only way was to encode in Encore. A lot of long time Encore users online agreed this was the way to go, so thats my workflow now.
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Wood View Post
1) did the lag increase over time or was it a constant offset?
2) was audio rendered to ac3 (separate stream) or contained within the mpeg-2?
Rob the lag increases over time & the audio is contained within the MPEG-2. I spent countless hours/days trying to figure out what was wrong with my audio going through every scenario almost breaking down with frustration as my deadlines passed until I figured the only thing different is Vegas 10 and went back to 9 for final renders.

My current workflow is:
I edit & render my productions in sections eg. Pre-Ceremony, Ceremony, Reception in Vegas 10c. Then using Vegas 9 I compile all the sections into one time-line without re-compression.

This workflow works perfectly with Encore and video/audio is perfectly sync-ed, Vegas 10 somehow broke the audio, render setting are identical to Vegas 9. Although my V9 workflow works I would like to stop using Vegas 9 & figure out what wrong with 10. Rendering audio out separately (48kHz 16bit) also won't work, the video/audio tracks are never the same length.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

ok, thats weird. i haven't had either of those problems: length of ac3 + m2v files are all good and the offset in audio was constant, it didn't get worse over time... i'm still inclined to think my audio lag was due to a Waves multiband that has a few thousand samples overhead to it; didn't think that would matter on render; i'll have to research that more... or maybe it is V10; if so hopefully version D will resolve it.

in your case; is tho source footage or timeline set to 24 fps rather than 23.976? ...i'm wondering if your video render is auto-correcting to a DVD-friendly frame-rate while your audio isn't: doesn't seem likely but only thing i can think of at the moment
Rob Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...