Mixing video from Flip Ultra HD cam with others at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mixing video from Flip Ultra HD cam with others

What's the best method for mixing in footage from a Flip Ultra HD cam with other formats in Vegas?

The Flip is 1280X720p / 3fps.

I may want to mix it with a normal SD project of 720X480i DV-AVI footage and also some projects with 1440X1080p / 24 or 30fps HDV footage shot with Canon HV40 cams.

So what's the ideal way to mix in the flip with each of those? Also if I want to mix all those formats together what's the best workflow? Most likely all these projects will end up on DVD as the end medium.
Stan Harkleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #2
Major Player

What I have learned from this board and what i do is start my properties at the largest format I have..So in your case the properties would be 1440x1080

Drop your video onto your time line and edit from there.

I always am working in 60i or 30p mode.

Hope this helps....Others are much more knowlagable on this matter I will try to find the link that I have that ask this very same question.

Do a search on this forum for "mixed footage" It will yield several results as well
Old February 7th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Have you tried adding your flip's clips to Vegas' timeline yet?
Just wondering, since my offbrand flip's footage is non-native for Vegas and will require me to purchase Cineform to convert it into something I can work smoothly with.
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

I have a flip cam, copied the video to the hard drive, opened Vegas Pro 10, dropped the clip on the timeline, and everything worked fine for me.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

It works fine. I've taken some footage I shot of my kids and used Vegas to export it to standard DV for tape.

The Color Fixer Plus from New Blue came in handy with the footage. Since the Flip is all auto most of the inside footage at home is off color some. I notice if I am pointing at a nice white door while recording the color balance changes and looks normal. If I move it away where there isn't a decent white source it goes off. Outside in daylight it looks normal.
Stan Harkleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #6
Major Player

hmmm...
I'm glad for your sake, but also jealous and now even more bitter towards my cam's maker ;-)
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...