Vista vs. Windows 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 5th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #1
Trustee

Vista vs. Windows 7

Hi, The other day I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7. All went well. However, when I just tried to render an 11 minute clip the rendering was dramatically slow, it took almost three times as long as it did under Vista. Now, when I upgraded I did not uninstall/reinstall Vegas. I am running Vegas 10b. I used the same settings in rendering as I always have. Any ideas? Bob Safay
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Vista vs. Windows 7

Bob, this will be of no comfort, and may or may not be your issue.

If you upgraded over Vista instead of doing a clean install, that could be a source of numerous issues. I call upgrades "dirty" installs, and have never done it, because of the poor reputation of the results from this.

If you cannot narrow down your problem, there are simple ways of installing windows cleanly using the upgrade disc. If you are a serious, or professional editor, I would redo the installation first thing.

You should ideally do the install over a reformatted hard drive, the only way I recommend.

There will be those that may say they have done upgrades successfully, and that may be true. On the other hand there are many also that have had a bad experience doing so.

The worst thing about doing an upgrade over Vista, is that when you have problems, you may never know why; is the issue from the install? Or something else? The uncertainty alone would drive me crazy.
Old March 5th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I must second Jeff's position. Windows is just not very good at keeping itself optimised. Even if you keep your machine clean, cruft still eventually builds up.

The time spent keeping all your install files/CDs/DVDs and purging your drive and reinstalling is easily saved in the reduction of "issues".

In fact, I tend to reinstall windows to a formatted drive from time to time. Not every month, but every 12-18 months I probably have. Probably more driven by when I feel like I've had a few problems/issues that were odd or hard to explain, rather than simply time driven.

Really helps keep the list of software installed to the required components only!
Old March 5th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Every time I do a clean install, I'm amazed at how much more responsive my PC is. Of course it doesn't last, but there you have it.
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Trustee

echo all comments - there is (afaic) no such thing as a 'clean' upgrade.

do yourself a favour and do clean install - you'll really appreciate the difference....
Old March 6th, 2011, 06:12 AM   #6
Trustee

Thanks for all the replys. So do I re-install Vegas 10, or, wipe out the drive and re-install windows and then all my programs? Well at least it is a rainy day in Georgia so I got time to kill. Thanks again, Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Yes, you know what you need to do. I have no programs on disc anymore(except Windows 7), so I can install all my programs from a hard drive I keep striclty for storage of photos, programs, settings, etc. If you're using discs, it will take bit longer, but the result is the same. If you decide to store your programs on a hard drive, this is a good time to do it. Make sure you have a backup drive also with the identical stuff on it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...