New Computer for editting in Vegas - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:55 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: New Computer for editting in Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Webb View Post
... IMO, I couldnt justify spending more money on a card in a budget system that could be better used on a faster CPU...
I could not agree with you more, Gerald. If you have to choose between processor and ram or high end graphics card, I would go with processor and ram every time. You will use the processor and ram constantly, the graphics card benefits are limited use. I have had bad experiences with AMD chips in the past and stick to intel i7 but in truth I left AMD aroound the time the AM2's were just coming out so they may have improved since then. The AMD chips I had did not multi-thread well and were very unstable. I love my i7 machine.
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #17
Major Player

Could somone please explain in laymens term what this "CUDA" thingy is all about. Thanks
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #18
Trustee

CUDA is a processor similar to the microprocessor in your computer. It does not do everything your microprocessor does, but it can run the same code in parallel 100 or more times (depending on which model you buy).

At first sight, video effects work on video frames or bitmaps. In reality, a typical video effect works on individual pixels. First it processes the top left (or bottom left) pixel in the image, then the next pixel to the right of that, then the next until it comes to the end of the line. Then it processes the leftmost pixel of the next line, then the one to the right of it, then the next, until it comes to the end of the line. And so it goes until it processes the last pixel of the last line.

A typical filter runs the same code on every pixel. And if it works on a 1920x1080 frame, it runs the same code 1920 x 1080 = 2073600 times for each frame.

CUDA allows it to process 100 or more (many more) pixels in parallel, i.e., simultaneously. So it can handle each frame in a fraction of the time your CPU can handle it. So, instead of something taking a day to process, it may take less than an hour.

That is what CUDA allows video effects to do. Of course, the effects software has to be CUDA aware and take advantage of CUDA if it finds one in the computer. That's about it in layman's terms. :)
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
Could somone please explain in laymens term what this "CUDA" thingy is all about. Thanks
Adam did a pretty good job explaining CUDA.

If you want to learn more you might check out this link on the NVidia website.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/what_is_cuda_new.html
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:13 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I tried the HP and had to take it back. I just bought the Dell Studio XPS X8300 work station with the core i7 sandy bridge processor, 1.5 TB SATA 7200rmp hard drive, ATI radeon 1gb ddr5 video. I am thinking I will be O.K. with this. I just won't be feeding my child mush for the next year.... Thanks for all of the input guys.
Suzanne Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:18 PM   #21
Trustee

curiosity - why did you dump the hp?

(i would have too having had poor experience with hp in the past)
Old April 23rd, 2011, 08:41 AM   #22
Regular Crew

The HP kept freezing up and I would get blue screen errors and since it was in the time frame for me to return it I did. It was refurbished, I was trying to save a few dollars. I will pick up my new computer tomorrow and I can't wait to start editting and see how it goes.
Suzanne Lucas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...