Can Vegas capture DV footage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 26th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Can Vegas capture DV footage?

I have a tape back in 1999 that was recorded with my Canon HV10. When playing, the camcorder's screen shows DV. Today when I tried to capture, Vegas wouldn't do it. Under Preferences I selected DV, Vegas popped up an error message "Google Camera Adapter 0 cannot be opened".

I tried a more recent tape, it showed HDV on the camcorder's screen. I selected HDV in Preferences, and Vegas captured it with no problem.

What can I do? Apparently Vegas needs this "Google Camera Adapter" plug in in order to capture DV material.

Thanks,
Norris Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Can Vegas capture DV footage?

That's not right. Vegas has a native DV capture function, that has nothing to do with "Google Camera Adapter".

What is more likely is that Windows is not correctly recognizing your deck in DV mode, therefore not applying the right driver, so, Vegas can't see it.

First thing to try is to power everything down, connect FW, powerup your deck, roll DV tape, then powerup your computer. This method assures that your camera is in DV playback mode when Windows tries to find the driver for it. If successful, Vegas will then see a DV source.

Some decks can be set in their menus to DV, HDV, or Auto (default). If you have this feature, set it to DV, restart the PC, see if Windows recognizes it.

A correctly identified DV deck will show up in Device Manager as Imaging Devices | AVC something.

If that doesn't work, better post more details, like, Firewire card, OS, etc. Many Win7 users have issues with Firewire and driver selection...
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Did as you instructed, capturing right now, with Sony Video Capture 6.0. The footage show up as .avi, is that OK?

Thanks!!!
Norris Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The footage show up as .avi, is that OK?

That's correct.
Be advised that one hour of DV footage is approximately 13.5 gigs in size so don't be shocked.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #5
New Boot

Quick FYI, I've also had this problem so rebooted with old tape running... Vegas picked it up perfectly this time around. Thanks!
James Fryer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...