Bluray on regular DVD? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 17th, 2011, 01:53 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Bluray on regular DVD?

please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that the idea of HD was to give the viewer a better quality image on the screen. If you tinker with the components needed to give this extra quality and the result is an unacceptable image quality then in the eyes of the AVERAGE viewer it is not HD. The question to be asked is why bother with the expense of HD equipment if you are going to produce an image that doesn't look like HD. The gentleman who claimed to have 50mins of HD on a standard DVD said it looked good.He did not mention any tinkering with bitrates etc. If he didn't, the disc must of been burnt as normal SD by the burning programme. I stand by my earlier statement, until proven wrong, that you can't put 50 mins of HD on a standard DVD and make it look Good.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Roy, it's my understanding that you can get somewhere between 20 and 30 min. of HD on a standard DVD.
With that in mind, it is possible to get 50 min. of HD if you're using a dual-layer DVD.
Unfortunately David didn't say if he's using a single or dual-layer DVD to get that much HD footage on it.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 03:47 AM   #18
Major Player

Mike. I never thought about using a double layer DVD as I understand some people have problems with them, so I've never tried them. Yes that would make make the difference of course. You are on the ball as usual. Regards
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Alexander View Post
David. If you have 50 mins. on your DVD, then it has burned as Standard definition and not in High Definition. It is utterly impossible to burn that many minutes HD onto a standard DVD.
You're right I think I got closer to 20 mins. That's what happens when you type up a quick reply at work. When I've done it I just chose the burn to B-Ray disc option and by default, if I remember right, there are 3 options. On shorter videos I would take the higher option. I one of my longer videos I had to drop down to the middle level. Either way the default levels have nice quality and have worked on my player and PS3. I like that it stays HD and I can play it back easily. I could also pull the files off for an edit or posting to the web if needed. Although I have tried that yet, and it also depends on the video and use of it. Currently most of the video I do that with is of my son and daughter dancing. Cheers.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...