Can Vegas do this? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 16th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Can Vegas do this?

If I wanted to do a chroma key and use handheld or another type of shot that involves any camera movement, can Vegas track the background plate to sync to the camera movement as well? If so, how Or is it necessary to use AE?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Jubal 28

Re: Can Vegas do this?

Not automatically.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Major Player

AE is the standard for any effects work, don't look else where you'll only be disappointed.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Trustee

You can do a lot of things in Vegas that most people do in AFX, the downside is its a lot slower and most often not worth it,
but,
If Vegas is all you have, dont be put off from having a go, apart from the learning experience, its very satisfying :)
If you do decide to do it, just ask if you want help.
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Jubal 28

I actually find a number of things quicker and easier to do in Vegas with the same quality of result. However, there are also many things where this isn't so.
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
AE is the standard for any effects work, don't look else where you'll only be disappointed.
Certainly in that price bracket - as you go up the ladder you'll find tools that outshine AE.

I'm absolutely with David and Gerald - there is SO much more than you can do in Vegas nowadays, with or without third party plugins. Yes, many tasks are much easier and quicker in AE, and many tasks simply can't be done in Vegas. Whether the gap will continue to shrink is questionable, although with many of the tools from NewBlue, Boris, Genarts etc it's getting to the stage where I think I could stick quite happily in Vegas 95% of the time.

If I could afford all those plugins, of course . . . ! (Which is true of AE also).

To comment on the OP's question, Boris BCC has motion tracking, if that's what you're after. There's a great tutorial on their YouTube channel.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Boris CC7 looks like a good option. Boris FX Online Store - Boris Continuum Complete 7 for Sony Vegas Pro 10 (Download) It's pricey though. $600.

The shoot is coming up fast. Perhaps I'll just shoot locked down And use either AE or Boris down the road to simulate camera movement for handheld and the corresponding plate movement. Q: I'll need to put tape marks on the screen right? How many and what arrangement on a 12x8 screen? Orange "X's"?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #8
Trustee

For instance, here are 2 I did last night,
The text, I think could be done in Vegas with standard tools and get a similar result, will try tonight and post back.
but,
The hospital monitor would take a million( exaggerated ) key frames and way to much time without the use of expressions that are available in AFX.
Again, I suppose billable hrs dont come into it, its more just about working on your "compositing chops" and satisfaction of doing something a little bit different than, cut and crossfade .
Ian, what tools are your talking about that are a levell above AFX? This nerd would love to download a trial, lol.
Old June 16th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Gerald, I was thinking of things like Nuke/NukeX, Flame etc.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #10
Trustee

Thanks Ian, this is going to be cool....
NUKEX | Greater Creative Freedom | The Foundry

HOLY COW!!
I just looked at the price.... 8k.
Dont think the Chief Financial Controller will allow this one, lol.

Last edited by Gerald Webb; June 16th, 2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: got up off floor in shock.
Gerald Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #11
Inner Circle

You can rent it for 1600 GBP for 3 months.
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #12
Trustee

$533.33 a month, $122.60 a week, $17.51 a day.... well thats less than 73c an hour.
How can I afford not to rent it?

"Honey! I know what i want for my birthday!"
lol
Old June 17th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #13
Major Player

I did a green screen key last week and Vegas really sucks when it comes to keying, AE has Keylight which does a beautiful job at keying & tracking is extremely easy with AE, as far as I know Vegas has no tracking functions. Nuke is brilliant but unless you are a full time professional effects artist it's overkill. You can get a 30 day trail for AE which is more than enough time to do what you need to do and if you want to subscribe it's only $85 a month for the entire Production suit from Adobe.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #14
Jubal 28

Keylight is better than Vegas's keyer, no question about it.

But Vegas's keyer doesn't suck. Before Premiere added the Ultra keyer with CS5, it was easily the best on-board NLE keyer.

You just have to know how to use it.
Old June 17th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #15
Major Player

David the question was if it's necessary to use AE for tracking the background motion of hand-held footage in green screen and the answer is yes it's necessary to use AE - Vegas can't do it. I agree with you Vegas is a lot easier to use for many applications but it can't do what Brian is asking for. I know how to use the Chroma Keyer, I love Vegas but there are some things it sucks at.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...