Pan Crop Question (V9.0) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 7th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Pan Crop Question (V9.0)

I have four clips in the timeline and I want to crop everything. I've grouped the clips but this doesn't seem to do it. No matter what I try I can't seem to get the crop to apply to everything on the timeline. I'm stumped.

Is there any way to permanently join the clips into a single event without rendering and re-opening???
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Jubal 28

Re: Pan Crop Question (V9.0)

Do the crop on a clip. Copy it. Select the others. Right-click. Choose "paste event attributes."

Do this before you add any FX to the clip you copy.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks David

I will give it a try.

Although it does seem strange that one can't just somehow join the clips into one event.

By the way I finally just broke down and rendered the video and then applied the crop.

Old July 8th, 2011, 06:45 AM   #4
Trustee

interesting to see what it looks like if you put it through mercalli......
Old July 8th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Funny you should ask - I tried it last night and I think it looked pretty good - except couldn't successfully export it from Mercalli (Stand alone version).When I tried outputting as WMV it just hung up and when I tried outputting as AVI there was a watermark of some kind on the footage (???? it's the paid version ????)

Reason for all the shaking was that I had the camera up on a 13 foot light stand which was wiggling around pretty well in the breeze. Next time I'll climb the ladder and attach it directly to the rain spout.

Re the time-lapse it was a GoPro HD (which is why I didn't sweat putting it up there) recording one frame every 10 seconds which I think turned out to give a nicely fluid appearance to the clouds.
Old July 8th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #6
Inner Circle

OK, here's the Mercalli stabilized version. This storm came through Wednesday about when Phoenix was being hit by a 100 mile wide dust storm. We also had one Tuesday but wouldn't have seen anything as it was like driving a car at speed through a huge puddle - couldn't see anything at all.

Sort of a mixed bag - more stable, but a fair amount of loss of sharpness due to zooming as well as some color/brightness degradation. All things considered best answer is to find a more secure perch for the camera even if I have to climb a ladder to get to it

As a bonus here's yesterday's storm

This stabilized much better IMHO
Old July 8th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I like the non stabilized version of your first video best, the movement of the camera adds to the effect of video somehow. It's real. Didn't need fixed up, IMO. On the other hand Mercali does do a great job, doesn't it?
Old July 8th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Actually I'm exactly with you - it gives it more of a "you were there" feel.

I also think that Mercalli has a lot of bang for the buck for really hand held shots in particular. The 10 second interval also seemed to give a good sense of the fluidity of the clouds. I tried a couple of other frame rates but keep coming back to the 10 sec interval.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...