Get Vegas Pro 10.0e to use more than 25% CPU usage (Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600K)? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 02:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Get Vegas Pro 10.0e to use more than 25% CPU usage (Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600K)?

Just a simple question: how do you get Sony Vegas Pro 10.0e to use as close to 100% CPU usage as possible while rendering?

I have a Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600K CPU (4 cores, 8 threads) and would like utilize its power, but when I render, CPU usage seems to hover around 15-25%, rarely jumping to 50-80% (but only for a split second). My 8gb or RAM usage hovers around 30-50%; I was able to unlock more than 2gb of RAM for my 32-bit version of Vegas by using CFF Explorer.

Thanks everyone!
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Get Vegas Pro 10.0e to use more than 25% CPU usage (Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600K)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhong Cheung View Post
Just a simple question: how do you get Sony Vegas Pro 10.0e to use as close to 100% CPU usage as possible while rendering?
You will never get close to 100%. Windows will simply not allow it.

Download and install Process Explorer. When you run it, you will see a long list of all the processes currently running on your system. Windows gives each and every one of them a time share. The process running in the foreground gets the highest share (and if you are running any software checking how much CPU etc Vegas is using, chances are it is that program that is the foreground process and Sony Vegas is pushed to the background, and 25-30% for a background process is a lot).

But the software I suggested you download also allows you to assign different priorities to different programs. With Vegas running, run that software. Find Vegas in the list. Right click on it, choose Priority, then either Above Normal or High (do NOT choose Real Time as that will force Windows to skip file writing if it cannot catch up with Vegas!!!).
Attached Thumbnails
Get Vegas Pro 10.0e to use more than 25% CPU usage (Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600K)?-vegas-priority.png  
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 02:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Get Vegas Pro 10.0e to use more than 25% CPU usage (Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600K)?

it depends on what codec you use

what codec are you currently rendering with?

try rendering out to .avi with lagarith or another multithreaded lossless codec
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Why won't Windows allow it? I remember with my old quad core Q6600 and a few versions back with Vegas, I was able to get close to 100% during renders...

I render various formats....wmv, m2t, mov, avi, etc. The program used to check CPU usage is simply task manager or the CPU gadget that Windows already has.
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...