FCP .mov clip aspect ratio in Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 8th, 2011, 04:01 AM   #1
Inner Circle

FCP .mov clip aspect ratio in Vegas?

As a Vegas Pro user, I'm posting this on Vegas forum - but perhaps it shoud go to the FCP section? Don't want to cross-post, though... Anyway, here it goes:

I have a problem some of you guys might probably help me out with: recently, I filmed another classical music event, only this time my EX1 was the only one of this kind, with the other 6 being DSR-570's (recording DVCAM). Since the majority of this multicamera setup was shooting in SD, this is also our delivery format - but that's not my main problem.

I got all the source material in the form of .MOV clips (the crew I cooperated with are FCP users), and some rough cuts as an .xml and .fcp project files. Is there a way to somehow make them usable in Vegas Pro?

As for the clips, the problems is that even if I set my Vegas project properties to PAL Widescreen, the timeline picture looks squeezed in the monitor (setting pixel aspect ratio to widescreen or anything >1.0 just adds black bras at both sides). I suppose FCP has a way of displaying the clips correctly (and certainly - exporting them), as I also got a preliminary edited movie as another .MOV file, and this one plays back correctly in QT player.

As for the editing list, is there a way to somehow translate it to a language VP understands?

I'll be grateful for any help and suggestions, TIA

Piotr
Old August 9th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: FCP .mov clip aspect ratio in Vegas?

My guess to fix the clips would be right click on the media within Vegas and select "properties" (note, that's the media properties not the project properties) and you can tell it what pixel aspect ratio to use for that particular file.

I've had to do this sometimes on DV files which were showing up as 4:3 instead of 16:9 when they were most definitely 16:9

Regards
David
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Did you adapt your preview window (rightclick menu) to simulate the device aspect ratio of rectangular pixels?
Marco Ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks guys - indeed, one needs to not only set the project properties, but also each clip properties to PAL widescreen aspect ratio! It's not necessary with avis, and alike - hence my confusion.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...