Editing 3D MVC files from Sony TD10 issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 13th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Editing 3D MVC files from Sony TD10 issue

I'm starting a 3D project with version 10E, and having a particular problem that I can't seem to solve.

I'm importing the clips from a hard drive copy - they come in as .mts files.
> I put them on the timeline, one at a time and right click Properties/Media/pair next clip.
> I set the Project as a stereo side by side full
> I set the Preview window as stereo side by side full
> I set the external preview monitor (Samsung 42" 3D HDTV) as stereo side by side full and view on that monitor in 3D mode.

When I drop the Stereo FX plug in onto the clip and open it, then I adjust the Horizontal (convergence) only one side (the right side) of the preview and external picture move. The left side of the frame stays in position. When I change the settings to Blend, same thing happens. When I change to Anaglyph, only the right side of the image displays in red/cyan. I've never seen anything quite like it because in paused or play mode it is a full 3D image, but only one side (right side) adjusts, not the left side. There is a split line right down the middle even in recognized 3D mode on the Samsung.

So I am at a total loss to understand what is happening and would love to get some expert feedback about what the fix might be.

Also, these MTS files don't play in real time at any setting, even Draft settings. They pretty much show a series of stuck freeze frames although the audio plays perfectly. My workstation is a Dual Core Quad 4 @ 240MHZ with 6 GB RAM which plays 2D MTS files out fine.

Before I abandon Vegas I wanted to find out if there is a way to fix these two issues. I can spend the $1000 for Neo3D, but that would mean taking every MVC file and separating them into L/R files one at a time and then converting them to Cineform and I'd really like to not have to do that.

(this is cross-posted on another forum)
Thanks.
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Re: Editing 3D MVC files from Sony TD10 issue

Do you have the "split screen" button above the preview screen turned on? If yes, turn it off.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Major Player

You were right, the split screen button was in the ON position. I clicked it off and all is good.

For the AVC playback stuttering, I researched a bit more and decided that a CUDA enabled NVidia card would probably solve the problem so I ordered one and will be able to install it this weekend.
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 01:54 AM   #4
Trustee

i don't think with 10 cuda is going to make ANY difference to playback - might help with rendering, but if you've a good cpu it's 6 to 1 or half a dozen of the other....
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi.

Why freeze Vegas11 when i edit a simple 1 hour long 3D project with native 50i MTS files from TD10,
and try to render with CPU to Sony MVC encoder in 1920x1080 at 24p?
This freeze always happen at different part of the projects. Sometimes at 64%, try again
the render and now at 40%. I tested with 32 and 64bit of Vegas. No special fx, only simple dissolve between clips, and sometimes stereo 3d adjust fx.
Is this a know bug? Why nobody reported it? Maybe very few people work with the 3D files from TD10,
or a 1 hour film is too long for Vegas?
But in task manager the memory usage never go above 5GB.
Dynamic ram preview set to 100MB.

My spec: i7-2600 cpu, 8GB ram, fresh win7 64bit, geforce card. Lot of HD space even on system drive.
Thanks for tips!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...