Best Render Format to Convert to Flash Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 21st, 2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Render Format to Convert to Flash Video

Hello,

A client of mine is providing me with footage they shot on HD Panasonic P2 media. I need to take this and edit it, and then provide their IT staff with a file to be converted to Flash for their website.

What format should I provide to their IT person to provide the best quality for Flash delivery? This will be delivered on the web.

Please provide specific setting (bitrates, etc.) if I need to dial up any custom settings.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
Jerry Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 01:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Best Render Format to Convert to Flash Video

I just determined that my client wants the file in either uncompressed AVI or .mp4. I don't see a way to render to "uncompressed" .mp4. What settings would give me the best quality .mp4 for conversion to flash?

Thanks, and my apologies if this is a dumb question. Greatly appreciate your feedback and suggestions.
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Trustee

MP4 is always compressed.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 04:46 PM   #4
New Boot

First off, you will need Raylight Ultra to edit the P2 .mxf clips natively in Vegas. You can then render uncompressed .avi (huge file size) to send to client or .mp4 (smaller file size but compressed). I use Adobe Media Encoder to transcode to flash from P2 generated .avi's without a problem.
Rob Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

So to clarify, I cannot edit P2 media files in Sony Vegas? I don't need to do anything major other than some minor color correction to an interview. Thanks.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:30 AM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

Jerry, to clarify - you CAN edit those files in Vegas - it just requires RayLight to do so.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 08:24 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Just out of curiousity, why doesn't Vegas play well with Panasonic P2? One of the biggest advantages with using Vegas is that it normally doesn't care what you put on the timeline. It's just a bit of a bummer having to spend another $200 to edit P2, which is a fairly common format. Unlike Red, which Vegas does edit but is a more obsure format. Is this because you essentially have two camera manufactures that don't particularly like each other? ;)
Old September 22nd, 2011, 08:41 AM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

ding, ding, ding, ding.... yes it's a licensing issue.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 11:51 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Ed,

Thanks for the confirmation. I purchased Raylight and I'm up and running.

Going back to my first question, what would be the best format to provide my clients IT staff for them to convert the file to flash? I'm looking for a decent compromise between file size and quality.

Thanks,

Jerry
Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:14 PM   #10
Inner Circle

For about $30 you can get ON-Flix (Flix Standard) and convert to FLV yourself) then FTP the files to them in finsihed form. I do it all the time and it works great plus the FLV files are a lot smaller then an AVI which IMO is the best way to convert to FLV so you're not taking up a lot of bandwidth and waiting for a long period of time to FTP to them.
Works for me. Simple fast and clean.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 03:36 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I don't know much about Panasonic P2 media, but it sounds like others have posted the Raylight solution.

As far as Flash based web posting, I'd recommend using Handbrake to produce mp4 videos. Here's a tutorial on the full procedure.

The tutorial is somewhat focused on posting to YouTube & Vimeo, but the procedure is identical for locally hosted flash players (e.g. JW Player). Here's an example of using this procedure to for JW Player (Flash) viewing: HD Video for the Web - Guide for Vegas Users

...Jerry
Jerry Amende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 02:52 PM   #12
New Boot

I agree with Don. If you can get them to provide final spec's for the .flv then you are better off doing the conversion yourself and posting the finished flash files. Unless you plan on shipping the client a hard drive, you are never going to accommodate electronic transfer of uncompressed .avi's.
Rob Robertson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...