Vegas won't save at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 27th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Vegas won't save

This is the first serious trouble I have had with VMS 10 platinum. I am editing my latest video and do a bit more each session and save it as. ie. edit 1 edit 2 and so on. I have up to now done 6 edits and they have been saved in My Docs/ vegas 10 projects as well as on another Hard drive internal on saqme computer.

Several times after closing down the computer I have successfully brought back the last edit in order to continue. Then with no warning none of the edits can be found. Three times I have started again from scratch and have progressed a bit further only to lose everything again. The edits are found a few times and then vanish. When I try to import media it attempts to find the edit and actually tells what percentage it is opening and then says it can't be found. I have tried the search with no luck. What I don't understand is why all the saved edits are gone. Should I re-install vegas? any ideas please. If no cure I'll have to reluctantly give up Vegas.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #2
Jubal 28

Re: Vegas won't save

What do you mean by "edits"? Events? (Clips, media, etc.?)

If you move a project file, or save a copy in a different folder, it may lose track of where the footage is. It sounds like it may be happening here.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Major Player

I arrange a series of clips in the order I want them(editing) then I save them by clicking save as and give it an edit number. Its always worked for years.
Old September 27th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Jubal 28

Just telling you what usually causes the behavior you're describing. Moving the .vf file can do it.

Do you find that you have this problem with the files you have on other drives, and not in the MyDocs folder?

Of course, I'm still not sure what you mean by not being able to find "edits." I assume you meant "events," because that's what makes sense in context. Is that right?
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Major Player

I have re-installed VMS HD 10 platinum and everything now seems to be working OK. (touch wood).
I can now re-open everything I have saved since re-installing. I have now had to start editing from the beginning of the video that was lost. Ah the joys of video editing. Mind you overall it's easier than film ever was although of course with film you never got crashes or lost work. At least with video the editor has more choices to work with and can make many copies, unheard of with Super 8 film. I am very happy with video having found it's many advantages. Even more happy.(most of the time) with Vegas.
Old September 28th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Jubal 28

Roy, I think you may have the wrong idea about what happens when you save.

When you save a project, you don't save the edited video with it. A .vf file (or a .veg file in Vegas Pro) is not like a Photoshop .psd file where all of the elements of the project are saved into it, or like a Word or Excel file which contains all of the information in the document. A .vf files is a set of instructions for Vegas only. It has no video or media in it. All of your video, photos, music, whatever, are kept exactly where you save them. Vegas only uses it; it doesn't change it at all. The .vf file only tells Vegas what to do with it, but it needs the video in order to do it. Again, the video is not saved in the file.

So, if you move the .vf file to another hard drive or another computer, your video does not go with it. You will get exactly what you're describing -- Vegas not being able to find your clips.

This is the reason I've asked a couple of times now what you mean by Vegas not being able to find your "edits." You haven't answered that question, but from the context of what you're describing, I think it's what is going on. But if I'm making the wrong assumption, please do clarify and we can go from there.
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #7
Major Player

Another possiblity is Roy saves using 'Save As', assigns as a project name a number, and saves.
So by default his project ends up in VMS's default directory for saving projects.

But what if something happens that changes where VMS looks to save - or open - projects by default?
It would look like all your projects had disappeared.

My suggestion would be to search your system for *.vf files. I suspect they are spread around in a few more directories than you realise. And all reinstalling VMS did was to repoint VMS back to its default project save area and - voila! - everything magically reappeared.

That's my guess based on what's written so far...
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #8
Major Player

David. Thank you for your interest and help. You have opened my eyes to what saving means, I wasn't aware of what goes on. I think that you have sussed out what went wrong, but I have to tell you that I have not knowingly
transferred the clips from the projects folder to another site. As my earlier post tells that since I have re-installed Vegas everything works fine. I would say that since re-installing I am saving everything on another internal hard drive and not in the Project folder. Thanks again and I will certainly make sure that I don't accidentally transfer.

Last edited by Roy Alexander; September 28th, 2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old September 28th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #9
Jubal 28

It doesn't matter if you don't move the video clips. If you move the .vf project file, it'll have the same effect. Vegas looks for your media based on the file structure and folder relationship which existed when you saved -- so if your .vf file is two folders up and three folders over from the video, it'll look for the video there when you next open it. If you have moved the .vf file, the folder relationship won't be the same, so it won't be able to find the video until you tell it where it is.
Old September 29th, 2011, 02:02 AM   #10
Major Player

David. I follow what you say but if the PC panel that appears saying more or less that the programme wanted is not where it is supposed to be, surely when you initiate a search , it should tell you where the files are. But pre to re-installing Vegas the search said no files were found in all the drives.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...