New Computer for Sony Vegas 10 - Quad core or Six Core at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 8th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New Computer for Sony Vegas 10 - Quad core or Six Core

Ok I am going to be buying a new computer to use with Sony Vegas 10. Not sure if I should get an i7 quad core or I7 Six core system. Below is the current specs I am looking at getting if I get the quad core. Let me know if this will be good?

These are the basic specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Intel Core I7-960 Quad Core (3.2Ghz)
16 GB of Ram
1.5 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
3 GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT545
Dave Brytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: New Computer for Sony Vegas 10 - Quad core or Six Core

Either will handle Vegas 10 just fine. Set your budget and get the best computer you can with that amount.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Inner Circle

That spec should fly with Vegas. I have a lower spec i7 processor in a Windows 7 box running Vegas 9E - and it's pretty swift!

If you do a lot of Full HD editing like XDCAM EX or AVCHD2 (1080p50/50) etc. like I do then I'd recommend you get a system that has either a RAID 0 capability for your raw media (i.e. 2 discs ) or at the very least one that has 2 internal drives, i.e. one with your OS and Vegas on it and the other for the raw media. My concern is that you may get a bottleneck with respect to read/write speed of a single HDD, even a 7,200 rpm one, and so not do that lovely fast processor justice.

You seem to be skimping on the HDD provision to me. To my eye, it does not compliment with the other main components in the chain - and a computer is only as fast as it's weakest/slowest link. Others more up to date with Vegas 10 and PC specs can (I'm sure) elaborate further if needed - but that would be my suggestion.
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dave the new intel processors are about to come out. I just bought a new i7 980, and while I like it, I REALLY wish I had waited. Apparently November. I had no idea or I would have waited.

I strongly suggest you consider waiting, but if not, as has been said, that will work.

But you know you'll want secondary drives to keep your video files on while your working on it (scratch drive) and a backup drive or two, right?
Old October 12th, 2011, 05:38 AM   #5
Major Player

Processor comparison?

What are thoughts on the i7 2600 processor? I am about to get a new system too and am confused basically between the i7 9xx processor or this i7 2600. Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Old October 31st, 2011, 01:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Just to update I went ahead an ordered a new computer I will be using to edit HD video with Sony Vegas. Here are the specs. Please let me know if it looks ok.

HP Pavilion HPE h8xt

• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 quad-core processor with Turbo-Boost [up to 3.8GHz, 8MB cache]
• 12GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs]
• 2TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
• 2TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
• 1GB DDR5 Radeon HD 6850 [2 DVI, 2 mini-DP, HDMI. VGA adapter]
• 600W Power supply
• SuperMulti DVD Burner
• Premium Wireless-N LAN card
• 15-in-1 memory card reader, 4 USB 2.0 (front), audio, 2 USB (top rear-facing) 2 USB 3.0 (Rear)

I also will be getting a 4TB Raid 0 External Hard Drive connected by USB 3.0 to use as a capture and edit drive.
Dave Brytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 01:58 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Sounds fine. Just remember to go into the power scheme and disable the hard drive from stopping, and turn off the USB suspension setting. These will cause hangups when editing, if you don't already know that.
Old October 31st, 2011, 06:22 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Jeff,

Do you do that for the turbo boost computer systems or any of them?

And where do you go to do those two things??

dale
Old November 1st, 2011, 02:05 AM   #9
Inner Circle

On any windows machine, regardless of processor these settings should be changed. I find it to be most important thing that I do when setting up a PC for editing.

In Windows 7:

1. Go to control panel > power options > select power plan.

2. Choose High Performance, than click on "Change Power Plan".

3. In following window click on Change Advanced Power Settings.

4. Scroll down to Hard disk and change setting to Never

5. Scroll down to USB settings and choose Disable.

When you don't do these things, when you are editing, Vegas will act hinky at times. USB drives get weird also.

Say you take a break from editing, and go back to work 20 minutes later. With the default Power Saving settings, the hard drives have all stopped. This will cause a "Vegas not Responding" episode because it cant' access the drives where the video files are located. After the drives have started spinning again then it's all good, but this can also cause a crash.

I mentioned this to Dave because I just reinstalled windows recently and forgot those settings, and Vegas behaved weird, especially when I saved projects to different drives. I changed those settings, and everything was perfect again.
Attached Thumbnails
New Computer for Sony Vegas 10 - Quad core or Six Core-capture.png   New Computer for Sony Vegas 10 - Quad core or Six Core-capture2.png  

New Computer for Sony Vegas 10 - Quad core or Six Core-capture3.png  

Last edited by Jeff Harper; November 1st, 2011 at 02:35 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 05:38 AM   #10
Major Player

Dave, you will love your new puter. I recently built one with the similer specs including the i7 2600 processor.

Jeff...Thanks for the info on power.saving mode I have been having some issues with that...
Old November 1st, 2011, 05:52 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hey Jeff

Will those settings still apply if I'm using a 2TB USB drive for my project and footage..My HDD only has Vegas installed on it so do the settings still apply????

Can you explain why you choose "Disable" for USB settings???Does that stop the USB drive from shutting down if it's not accessed?????

Thanks

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 06:48 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Chris, it will stop the PC from shutting down the USB, but it won't turn off any auto-off feature built into the drive itself. It's why I buy my own drives and enclosures and then assemble them myself. I can at least select the drive inside and and not worry about the case having some auto-sleep feature, which drives me crazy.

This seemingly small issue with the Power Settings can be a major pain in the rear, good thing to fix at the beginning.
Old November 1st, 2011, 07:04 AM   #13
Trustee

Couple of remarks that people do not seem to be aware of:

1. The X58 platform uses triple channel memory, so ONLY install 3 or 6 sticks, otherwise performance is degraded.

2. The SB platform uses dual channel memory, so ONLY install 2 or 4 sticks.

3. The X79 platform uses quad channel memory, so ONLY install 4 or 8 sticks.

For video editing disable all power saving settings, never spin down disks, never use screen savers, never use hibernation, etc.

If you want to use more than 16 GB ONLY use Win7 Pro. Home Premium does not support more than 16 GB. If you want to use a server or NAS for storage, get Pro, not Home Premium.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 08:25 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Thanks Guys!!!

Jeff??? I can't seem to find the "Never" setting on Win7 Pro?? Mine just allows me to change the minutes..however I set it for 150 minutes..there is no way I will be sitting staring at the screen for nearly 3 hours!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 08:31 AM   #15
Inner Circle

use the arrow button and take it down to 0 and it will change to never.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...