How to edit video clips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 10th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to edit video clips?

I purchased the Sony Movie Studio HD Plat 11. I've spent hours going through tutorials and playing with different features and cannot figure out how to edit video. I need to cut out parts of the video that I don't want. For example I have a three minute clip and I want to get rid of the parts where I'm filming the ground, excessive shaking, etc. I will probably have about two minutes of video when I get done. It will be taking out four seconds in one part, seven in another, two in another, etc. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony
Tony Marino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: How to edit video clips?

Hi Tony

After reading any tutorial you should have a good idea of what to do...maybe look for a more basic tutorial (sorta "Getting Started with Vegas"???)

Essentially if you just want to chop the video up, drag it onto a timeline and use the "S" key to split the video up roughly where you see fit. Then highlight the unwanted sections and hit the delete key to get rid of them.

You can adjust the length of each of the chunks (known as events) by dragging the ends with the mouse and when you are happy with each event for content, just drag them together to make a continuous movie.
You can make the events just cut to each other by dragging until they touch or if you drag a little move they will overlap and create a crossfade.

I still would look on places like YouTube for a getting started tutorial!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 03:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Also you can drag a loop region with the mouse to mark the selection you want to cut out and press the delete key while the loop region is still active (it's darker then).
Or use the "I" and "O" key to set the loop region, press Shift+Q to select the loop region and press delete then.
Marco Ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 03:55 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Sony Creative Software - Training - Vegas Movie Studio
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #5
Regular Crew

As a newb myself I would have to echo the comments given here. Both Sony Training and You Tube have helped me tremendously along with the input form the members here at DVI.

Good luck and beware, it is time consuming and confusing but worth the effort when you have a finished project to watch.
Old October 11th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Nice link Mike. Tony, follow Mike's link its just what you need! There's a video just for trimming clips.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...