Titler Choices for Vegas 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 21st, 2011, 07:53 AM   #1
Major Player

Titler Choices for Vegas 11

Anyone try the updated Pro Type Titler in Vegas 11? Is it really simpler to use now? I tried to learn it but eventually gave up mostly because I'm not a heavy user of Vegas and I've lived with the basic titler for years.

Have you tried the NewBlue Titler Pro? From the video on their website the titler looks pretty straightforward at least for the basics. Even though it's for free with the promo I really don't want to learn another titler if it has a long learning curve like Pro Type Titler.

Last edited by David Jasany; October 21st, 2011 at 09:19 AM.
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Re: Titler Choices for Vegas 11

The learning curve is certainly not as high with NewBlue Titler Pro as it is with ProType Titler. I find that Titler Pro is very easy to use especially with all the presets and templates that are available. For a simple straight text title, I feel it is just as easy - if not easier - than the standard text generator.

BTW, has anyone noticed it's also available as an EFFECT?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 09:34 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I only played with the Titler Pro for a few minutes but it seems very simple to use, no complaints here, looks promising.
Old October 21st, 2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
The learning curve is certainly not as high with NewBlue Titler Pro as it is with ProType Titler. I find that Titler Pro is very easy to use especially with all the presets and templates that are available. For a simple straight text title, I feel it is just as easy - if not easier - than the standard text generator.

BTW, has anyone noticed it's also available as an EFFECT?
Only problem is having the right video card to use the New Blue Titler. I was looking forward to that product, but was a bit frustrated when I got the message as I started up Vegas that the New Blue product would not work with my card.. This is first time in using Vegas that I have had a plug declared unusable because I run a simple video card.
Old October 21st, 2011, 12:01 PM   #5

It is totally GPU accelerated and, therefore, does require some healthy video card features.
Old October 21st, 2011, 12:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

"Anyone try the updated Pro Type Titler in Vegas 11? Is it really simpler to use now?"

The only change in the Vegas ProType Titler is the way you'd apply ready-made effects from the collection. This is done directly on the titler's timeline. In the track header of the titler's timeline there is an icon now to open the collection. That's it.

I'd also suggest trying the NewBlue Titler Pro instead. It's way more powerful though more simple to use. Great tool.
Marco Ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 01:48 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks everyone. I checked NewBlue's website for system requirements and they don't mention much about the graphics card. Here's what they show for Titler Pro system requirements:

Microsoft® Windows® XP (SP 3 or later)
Windows Vista® (SP 2 or later), or Windows 7
1 GHz processor (multicore or multiprocessor CPU recommended for HD)
30 MB hard-disk space for installation
1 GB RAM (2 GB RAM recommended for HD)
Recommended minimum graphics memory 512 MB

As Ed also said, one of the product's features per their website is "100% GPU accelerated".
Old October 21st, 2011, 02:01 PM   #8

This may help:

Minimum requirements:

OpenGL Version: 1.4,
DirectX Vertex Shader: 3.0,
DirectX Pixel Shader: 3.0

Recommended configuration:

DirectX Vertex Shader: 4.0,
DirectX Pixel Shader: 4.0
Old October 22nd, 2011, 01:15 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I was lucky enough to get an early look at NewBlue Titler Pro in order to write the getting started tutorial. Compared to what we've been used to, from a titling standpoint, it blew me away the first time I opened it up. I didn't know at the time that it was going to be bundled with the new Vegas but I am delighted it is and I hope it will satisfy those who have been crying out for a more powerful titling solution.

The fact that it's available as an effect as well as a media generator, as Edward pointed out, is surprisingly useful in that:

1. you can very easily create titles that are precisely the same length as the event they are 'effecting'
2. you save a track! Always welcome.
3. it's an easy way to quickly add a watermark or bug to an entire track or single media clip or event or even at master video track level (again without losing a track). My standard copyright, for approval, draft, etc watermarks are now Titler projects that I apply at the master track level.
4. the title moves with the event (if that's what you want) so you don't have to group events or move multiple items.
5. when used as an effect, it responds to project level stereoscopic settings (not that I have any experience of this whatsoever - 3d isn't big with my clients just yet).

So, all in all, one happy customer. I'm currently producing some more tutorials that go into various aspects in a little more depth (keyframing, adding effects and transitions, multiple paragraphs, etc). The next one to be released looks more closely at Style creation.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 06:23 AM   #10
Major Player

I'm confused about the marketing of NewBlue Titler Pro. I cannot find any reference to Titler Pro on the NewBlue website. If it wasn't for Sony offering it with Vegas 11 I wouldn't know this product exists. I found it online by searching for the product. It probably is just that NewBlue hasn't updated their website or I'm missing it.

Also, I found this in a NewBlue press release:

"Current Vegas Pro users who upgrade to Vegas Pro 11 will have a limited-time opportunity to purchase NewBlue's GPU-accelerated Motion Blends and Motion Effects plug-in collections for $99.95." Here's the complete announcement:
NewBlueFX Announces Titler Pro Bundle With Sony Vegas Pro 11 - Press Release - Digital Journal
Old October 22nd, 2011, 07:24 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Maybe Sony has an exclusive on it for a while? That's just speculation, I have no knowledge of this.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:43 PM   #12

Titler Pro will definitely be available for other versions of Vegas in the very near future. Please be a little patient and it will be on the website soon!
Old October 22nd, 2011, 10:50 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
This may help:

Minimum requirements:

DirectX Vertex Shader: 3.0,
DirectX Pixel Shader: 3.0

Recommended configuration:

DirectX Vertex Shader: 4.0,
DirectX Pixel Shader: 4.0
Good news for me at this point. I have GrForce 9800 GT on my system I installed last year, and by updating the Drivers, I was immediately able to run 11 Pro and the New Blue Titler.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:43 AM   #14

It is very important that if it is not working to first update the video driver.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:18 AM   #15
Trustee

Yup i had the same prob with GTX260. I can run it although it is officially not supported! Anyway it would make sense to upgrade for this reason.

btw the standard titler also got a facelift and it rocks. We can now keyframe every single parameter individually which makes it very powerful. The Newblufx titler would be solely for 3D for me. Still needs a little time to get used to the interface. So we now have 3 titling options. The funny thing is they didnt come up with the typing effect which is easily done in pro titler.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...