how to use markers on audio and video separately? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 4th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #1
Major Player

how to use markers on audio and video separately?

hi guys
just doing a project where I am syncing different clips to certain beats in a song.
now, I can obviously use markers while listening to the song, and then cut the video clips and align them to the beats as needed. but isn't there a way to attach markers to the tracks rather than to the timeline? I'd like the ability to use markers in both audio and video
If I move the clips around the markers do not "follow", unless I use ripple.
and If I use ripple and I start moving the audio track, for example, it also drags around the markers I had put for video, if they overlap.

isn't there a way to make markers track-specific, so that they are permanently (until I delete them) attached (and moveable) only to the track (video or audio) you intended to?
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 05:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: how to use markers on audio and video separately?

Use the peaks in the audio as markers. Workflow could be: Gather and cut your clips, forget the music. Trim the clips to the best parts, then place the song underneath and trim as needed.

To answer your question, there might be a way to do what you want, but I wouldn't use that method if there were, too complicated.
Old November 4th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

If you put markers on the clip in the trimmer, they will show up on the timeline in only that event. Not sure it that will help in your situation.

You could also try something odd like using markers for audio and command markers for video.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #4
Jubal 28

Careful with the terminology -- a "track" is one of the channels in the timeline. A video or audio clip is a "clip" or an "event."
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
Careful with the terminology -- a "track" is one of the channels in the timeline. A video or audio clip is a "clip" or an "event."
ok what I meant is to make markers event-specific and grouped with the event itself
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #6
Inner Circle

You mean markers that will stick to a piece of audio? So you can move the song and the marker sticks to the song?

Don't think so, but again a bit complicated way to go about it even if you could. I can see how the idea would be handy though.
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
You mean markers that will stick to a piece of audio? So you can move the song and the marker sticks to the song?

Don't think so, but again a bit complicated way to go about it even if you could. I can see how the idea would be handy though.
yes Jeff..markers that would stick to audio or video... why should this be complicated? I find frustrating having markers that don't follow the clips when/if I decide to move the events around backwards, forward, to other tracks etc etc...
the way I edit is very event specific, and I'd like to have reference point in every clip
Old November 4th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Disregard post
Old November 4th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico Perale View Post
ok what I meant is to make markers event-specific and grouped with the event itself
Do as Edward suggested and put the markers on the event(s) in the trimmer.
An advantage to doing it this way is that you get to see the markers appear in the timeline event while you're dropping them on in the trimmer.
Remember to click the "Save Markers" icon in the trimmer periodically so you don;t lose any of them.
Here's an example of what this looks like with markers on separate events.
I turned off the track video display and lowered the audio level so that the markers would be easier to see.
Attached Thumbnails
how to use markers on audio and video separately?-markers.jpg  
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #10
Major Player

when you edit a wedding, do you normally start with the song for a particular scene, put the markers in specific moments of the song, and then add the video clips according to that?
Old November 4th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Do as Edward suggested and put the markers on the event(s) in the trimmer.
An advantage to doing it this way is that you get to see the markers appear in the timeline event while you're dropping them on in the trimmer.
Remember to click the "Save Markers" icon in the trimmer periodically so you don;t lose any of them.
Here's an example of what this looks like with markers on separate events.
I turned off the track video display and lowered the audio level so that the markers would be easier to see.

thanks Mike/Edward. this seems to be what I was (rather clumsily) trying to explain.
if I do like that will the markers retain their "magnetic" function, to align with other markers etc etc?
Old November 4th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico Perale View Post
thanks Mike/Edward. this seems to be what I was (rather clumsily) trying to explain.
if I do like that will the markers retain their "magnetic" function, to align with other markers etc etc?
The markers are embedded in the event and won't function as expected unless you run the "Promote Media Markers" script that's built into Vegas which turns the embedded ones into full markers..
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...