Flickering playback of video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Flickering playback of video

I burned a wedding today. Flickering was pretty bad, and not sure what caused it. It only show up on my TV, not on PC or on internet. The flickering is of detailed areas like leaves and on the grooms detailed Pakistani-styled clothing, and the bride's veil, it's like a strobe effect. On the PC and on Vimeo there is no flickering.

I shot in 720p, and rendered to 720p, so not sure what is happening.
Old November 8th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Flickering playback of video

Anyone? Am I not describing the problem properly?
Old November 8th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

If you have fine lines, you will get flickering on a TV due to interlace issues. The way around that is to add blurring so that you don't have fine lines or make sure you have thicker lines.

Pan a brick wall and play it back on a TV, you'll get flickering like crazy!
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Edward. But this is Bluray 720 60p playing on a LCD. I've never seen this before. My camera the GH2 is famous for lack of moire. So is the TV interlacing the video?

I guess for the future, if this occurs again I'll add the blurring, just never expected to see nor have I seen this with progressive footage. I'm wondering if it had to do with the shutter speed of the camera.
Old November 8th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

All older TVs are interlaced and your TV *may* be adding interlacing. Your DVD player *may* be adding interlacing. I'm guessing somewhere in the process interlacing is being added but I have no way of knowing where it is being added. Of course, I could be wrong too and it could be some other issue altogether.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Thanks Edward. But this is Bluray 720 60p playing on a LCD. I've never seen this before. My camera the GH2 is famous for lack of moire. So is the TV interlacing the video?

I guess for the future, if this occurs again I'll add the blurring, just never expected to see nor have I seen this with progressive footage. I'm wondering if it had to do with the shutter speed of the camera.
It is still possible to get moire/flicking over fine detail as there are no (as far as I know) native 720p panels in HD TVs, so some scaling takes place somewhere and fine detail can then pattern as you have two lots of patterns interacting with each other, interlaced or not unfortunately.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle

There are 720p tvs, Phil, I had one (died on me last year) but that is of course, besides the point. I really think in this case it must be the fact I was shooting in program mode and likely was shooting at a high shutter speed. I was still very new to the GH2 at the time.

I think you're right regarding the detail issue and I'm sure the upscaling doesn't help.
Old November 10th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #8
Tourist

Jeff,

I've had similar problems with a moire flickering/strobe effect in videos viewed on an LCD TV. To solve this annoyance I've done the following:

1. On the timeline select and right click the offending clip and choose "Properties".

2. In the "Video Event" tab check "Reduce interlace flicker" even though you're shooting 720P. I chose the "Disable resampling" option but maybe the smart or forced resampling options will give better results. Then that's it.

I've had this problem when there are many thin verticle lines, small, high and low contrast areas, such as tree leaves in bright sun light or any such similar shooting situations. I've never shot Pakistani-styled clothing, but if it's got a lot of fine lines, beware. Panning or any other camera motion will only exacerabate this strobing effect. Don't rely on the Vegas preview window or your computer monitor to see the results.

Why don't you test 1 short clip, render it and view it on the actual TV that you'll view it on.

Hope this was some help. Please let us know if this solves the problem. It did for me.
Steven Thorsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Steve, I'll try that on next video. Only was problematic on three clips at the beginning, and this was a very low budget wedding in which I had invested too much time already.

I minimized the flickering a bit changing some settings, but I'll try your suggestions next time and try to eliminate it.

Rest of the video came out fine. If they complain, which I doubt they will, I'll just eliminate the clips.
Old November 11th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #10
Major Player

which button on the GH2 did you press - the red one or the shutter trigger? There have been several points posted in various forums that pressing the red button will override your shooting mode and cause the camera to jump to something between full auto and partial auto. Seems no one has really drilled down the specifics on this but you can do various searches and read more about it.

Other than that, the extremely high rez of the GH2 relative to that of the Canon DSLRs has been attributed to the funky flickering in 24P (I know you were filming 720P60...) which has caused some to install filters to soften up the image. I know some lenses will exacerbate this problem because of their contrasty nature. My Oly Zuiko 14-35/2 can look just plain "bad" compared to an old sigma 70-210/2.8 in daylight with an ND-8 and polarizer setup about 15' away from the subject at 2.8 and ~135mm - talk about pure lovely bokeh.

There was an extensive thread about this 24P flickering problem in Vitaley's (tester13's) forum setup for the GH2 hack that continued this past summer.
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...