capturing from Blu-ray Disc. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 28th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #1
Major Player

capturing from Blu-ray Disc.

I am using VMS platinum 10 HD and am getting on very well with it. However the following need is stumping me. My PC has two burners built in one is a Pioneer R/RW DVD burner which plays back to the PC with no bother. The other is the LG GGW-H20 Blu-ray disc rewriter and HD DVD-rom Drive.
I am trying to capture the HD video from a Blu-ray disc to VMS 10 using the LG burner. VMS capture programme will not recognise the disc or the burner. VMS will capture a DVD disc STAND DEF from the pioneer. It's not that the LG is incompatible with VMS because it burns Blu-ray discs from VMS no trouble. At the moment then I can only capture SD DVD.copies of Blu-ray videos to upload to YouTube and the results are definately inferior. Can anyone throw any light on the problem. PLEASE. In case you are wondering why it is necessary for me to upload to YouTube using a Disc. It's because (idiotically) for the first time I forgot to transfer the finished video to Tape after making Blu-ray disc and DVD discs and so wiped off the videos from ther PC with no tape copies. I'll have to make a check list to follow in future.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: capturing from Blu-ray Disc.

Roy, could you use windows to drag and drop the files from the Bluray disc to a new folder, then bring them into VMS?
Old November 28th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Jeff. I've just realised that the built in LG Blu-ray burner is not playing back to the PC. I have an LG standalone Blu-ray player. I wonder if I connect that to the PC if VMS would capture from it. Trouble is I wouldn't know how to make the connection. I could get a friendly expert in to do it I suppose. The DVD burner is connected to the PC, the Blu-ray burner must be as well or else I couldn't burn a Blu-ray. I am wondering if the Blu-ray burner is just that and is not meant to play back. Roy
Old November 28th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I don't know but I feel certain you need to use a BR player made for a PC. If yours is not working you'll either need a new one or use someone else's to copy the files from the disc. Wish I had more to offer, good luck.
Old November 28th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #5
Major Player

Roy,

As this is a once-off exercise, I suggest that you download the trial version of AnyDVD HD from here:

SlySoft Download | AnyDVD, CloneDVD, CloneCD, GameJackal, Any DVD, Clone DVD, Clone CD, Game Jackal

You can then rip the disc to HDD. Then it should be simple to load the video files onto the timeline. They are usually AVCHD/H264 types and are located in the '\BDMV\stream' folder.

Sometimes the files don't want to load so you may need to run them through Handbrake.

Steve
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Steve, Roy said the player isn't playing back, I assumed it was a hardware issue. His disc is not copy-protected, it's his own Bluray creation, I wouldn't think would benefit from AnyDVD HD, unless I'm missing something. If that is the case it wouldn't be the first time I've missed the obvious.

Roy, why can't you open the disc in windows explorer and drag and drop? Does the disc not show up at all? Is the BR drive not showing up in My Computer?
Old November 29th, 2011, 02:45 AM   #7
Major Player

Jeff. Thanks for replies. I must emphasise that the Blu-ray burner is a built in HD/DVD/DVD rewriter and not a standalone blu-ray player. As I said before it burns Blu-ray discs from the PC (VMS 110 HD Platinum) but won't play them back. In fact when I try, the PC crashes I can't find out from the rewriter user guide whether it's meant to play back or not. The Blu-ray discs burnt with the re-writer play back perfectly with very good resolution all blu-ray standalone players. Unfortunately the standalone players have no firewire socketry to connect to the PC. With regard to your useful suggestions. The rewriter is making connection to the PC and has a shortcut on the desktop. When I click onto it a message tells me to insert a disc, as soon as I do, the whole lot crashes. regards Roy
Old November 29th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi

What operating system is it?

If it is Vista or Windows 7 and up to date a Blu-ray disc should appear in My Computer and you can right click and Explore or Open it. On the disc browse to BDMV or BDAV and Stream and in here will be some .mt2s files, copy these to your computer and double click to play, they might need renaming to .mts if they don't play initially. Some of these will be menu items, but the larger files will be your footage. They should work as is in Sony Vegas.

You can't play a Blu-ray disc like you would a DVD in Windows as no versions support Blu-ray playback, for that you need third party software, it might be that third party software crashing so make sure you have updates.

If you are using Windows XP this will need third party UDF drivers just to read the disc, these are quite often flaky. Any thing else I don't know.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Phil. Thanks for the info. I am using XP so I've been trying to do something that's not possible. I have a friend who uses Wiondows 7 so I'll see if he can put the video on tape from the blu-ray disc using your info. Thanks again. Regards Roy
Old November 29th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #10
Major Player

Roy,

The point I was trying to make was that AnyDVD HD comes with its own UDF drivers, so that it can work just as well on a XP system. Although AnyDVD will rip protected discs, I suggested it so that you can rip the video files on your own discs on any OS.

Steve
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Roy, Steve, what Phil and I are saying is the disc doesn't need to be ripped, period. Roy, this is basic windows stuff.

You open the disc up in my computer, just like opening any folder or accessing any DVD or any hard drive. You start in my computer, as Phil says, navigate to the disc, and drag and drop the files you want right off the disc, no ripping, nothing else is required. As long as the disc is recognized by windows in my computer, you're good to go. The disc doesn't need to be playable by your PC.
Old November 30th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #12
Major Player

Hi Jeff. I tried what you have suggested but allthough the PC recognises the LG burner, It doesn't recognise it's contents of any disc I put in. In fact no matter what disc I put in it, the Programme crashes every time and also the pC itself and I have to re-boot. The same burner does the same when a DVD disc is inserted. So it looks as if something needs attention. A friend manages ok, he has a built in LG burner and uses Adobe CS5 and while he can't play the Blu-ray in windows 7, he can do what you have suggested and has managed to put the blu-ray video on his timeline. I am sending him my Blu-ray disc and hopefully he will transfer it's contents to DV tape cassette. Thanks for your input and everybody else who has answered my question. I will put all the suggestions in my personal manual I am making. regards Roy
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Roy, good luck. I'm just double checking here...Did you try going to my computer and then NOT left clicking but instead "right clicking" on the bluray icon and then click "open"?. Just want to make sure you are not left clicking.
Old December 1st, 2011, 07:59 AM   #14
Major Player

Jeff. Yes I right clicked OK. I have noticed that the LG burner when handling a Standard DVD, will not have the contents shown either in my Computer or Windows explorer, although the burner is recognised. Here's a funny thing, When I am burning a blu-ray disc in the LG burner, which is still does fine, If the disc is a RW, Power DVD appears on screen and starts to play the contents of the RW before erasure takes place and I have to remove Power DVD by clicking on the X and then burning procedure carries on.

Strange as I can't find Power DVD amongst the programmes listed on my PC. I am sure I had a shortcut for Power DVD on the desktop and it and the programme have dissapeared Regards Roy
Old December 1st, 2011, 09:22 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Roy, for the Power DVD thing, two things you want to do. Go to Auto Play in Control Panel and change your settings. I personally just uncheck the top box "Use Auto Play for all media and devices" which should help.

To get your icon back find the Power DVD folder on you C drive, probably in the Prgram Files (X86) folder, and poke around for the icon, copy it and paste it on your desktop.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...