Pro 10 MPEG Audio Sync Issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 8th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Pro 10 MPEG Audio Sync Issues

Hi Guys

I have just had a bride report back to me that her wedding speeches are running on her DVD player as much as 7 seconds out over a 15 minute speech ...These were 1920x1080 50i source files (like I always use) and rendered out to SD as an MPEG 2 using the PAL Widescreen DVD Preset.

Anyone had this??? I'm pretty sure that Nicolas DeKock had a similar issue and was talking about changing the file type in the template from "DVD" to "MPEG2" The DVD Templates default to file type as "DVD" .....could this be causing the audio to lag on longish clips???

I never had an issue with Vegas 9 at all but these renders are with Vegas 10 64 bit.

Any bright ideas????

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Pro 10 MPEG Audio Sync Issues

Chris,
You got the dreaded DUBBED Japanese Kung Fu movie look. Tell your bride most people pay extra for that. ;-)

Kidding of course. I've had that thru the course over the years of Vegas and DVDA. Don't know what causes it as it only happens once in about, oh I don't know since it's only happened 3 or 4 times since I started using Vegas and DVDA maybe about 10 years.
My solution was to re-render the project in Vegas, I use the same settings but save it under a different name and then when I author in DVDA and burn it, it's fine. I don't know if it's Vegas or DVDA but it is a PITA.
YEEEEE-AH! Kung Fu Bride!

O|O
\--/
Old December 9th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Don

According to the bride it was worse than Kung Fu!! A 7 second lag apparently which would make lip sync totally crazy!!

Now I took the longest speech (naturally the Father of the bride) which was just a tad under 17 minutes and wrote just that clip to a DVD and when I play it the sync is perfect (nope I didn't re-render the file either) So now I'm wondering if this might be a DVD Authoring Issue??? I'm using DVD Lab which seems to be acting up since I installed it on my Win 7 machine as it was fine on the XP machine....what it does is take each of my clips (all my weddings are split into clips and they rarely exceed 20 minutes) and splits the MPEG2 into an MPV and an MPA file and then creates the DVD. The Video_TS folder seems to be made up of groups of VOB files so it looks like the author program crams as much video into VOB1 until is is just under 1GB (sort around the 900mb mark) and then creates a VOB2 and so on.

If a single VOB file happens to be made up of 900mb of MPEG2 video then that would equate to about 20 mins of play time .... maybe I need to play a complete VOB chunk and see if that goes out of sync????

Could it be the DVD player cannot handle the information???? If it plays a complete video of say 120 minutes can it have a "buffer overflow"??

How would you isolate the problem??? I have since figured that single MPEG2's are in sync but collectively on a DVD the bride has it going out of sync ....should I burn ALL the speeches to one DVD and see if it starts losing sync, regardless of the fact it is playing lots of smaller clips than the 17 minute one....could it start losing sync on a batch of clips???

Very strange!

Chris
Old December 9th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm not familiar with the authoring program you use so a guess would be just that but if all the clips play fine by themselves then perhaps the program is choking on the total package.
When I ran into this the first time using Vegas and DVDA I was stumped for a good number of hours. I played it back in Vegas and it was 100% then when I ran it in DVDA without re-rendering it was 100%. I burned another DVD using the same rendered MPG/AC3 files and BAM! It was off by about 6 or 7 seconds. I started pulling what little hair I had left out and of course used some very bad language towards my computer, software, DVDs and anything else that got in my way. Once I settled down I re-rendered the project in Vegas reauthored it and BAM! it played out 100% correctly.
So the short answer is I haven't got a clue but it has happened to me a few more times over the years and honestly, I just lay it off to the machine. I have never figured out what causes it or why so I just roll with the punches and re-render, re-author and re-burn. A waste of time and materials but I guess brides have no sense of humor and don't want the dubbed Kung-Fu look. I don't know, it works for Jackie Chan.

0|0
\--/

Last edited by Don Bloom; December 9th, 2011 at 04:42 PM.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
used some very bad language towards my computer

Well my computer was feeling depressed the other day, so I showed it your post, and said there you go ^&*^ see I am not the only one who yells adjectives. So I finished threatening it and it feels better now. Or Else...

o:)
Joe Kollee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Guys
I'll swear at it a bit after my wedding today!!! (I'm only shooting it BTW!!)

Now the question still remains about using the "DVD" template during render???? Do you leave the file type as "DVD" or change it to "MPEG2"

Has anyone used this template to render out???? Mine is a custom one (just the DVD PAL one with aspect changed to 16:9 and saved as Widescreen)

Do I leave the file type as it is?????

Chris
Old December 9th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #7
Trustee

never had a problem using the sony templates for ANY render.
Old December 9th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Leslie

Neither have I!!! Surely it must be the bride's DVD player (she said her Mum's player does the same thing)
But I have NEVER had a bride come back to me with sync issues!!! Either this is a weird issue but I really cannot see why just ONE wedding would do this whilst all the others are perfect....Dunno about you but if my wedding speeches were 7 seconds out on the audio I would certainly contact the videographer and this is the first bride that has ever compained!!! I have an idea she is a "blonde" as she first contacted me to tell me that the 2nd DVD had the same content as the first DVD....she then read the label and discovered she was playing DVD 1 and expecting DVD2's content....ARGGG!!!!!

I might just re-render each project clip again and re-do the DVD's and check them carefully????

Chris
Old December 9th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Chris,
If you're rendering in Vegas to MPG then by all means continue to do so. Like I said I'm not familiar with your authoring burning program but if you're giving it MPEG2 compliant files and had never had a problem before then I would keep doing that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...