Why is plain text slowing my system to a crawl? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 16th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Why is plain text slowing my system to a crawl?

Jeff, I know you understand the topic. *you* don't notice a change in temperature because your case and cooling solution are adequate for the change. Your CPU-controlled fan just spins faster more often to keep up. What is more difficult to notice is that TurboBoost, the temporary increase in clock speed for only one core, is used less often and does not self-overclock as high. For more severe over clocking at the 33+% , it is recommended to disable the TurboBoost in the BIOS.

Also, you make comments about additional fans, better PSUs, better motherboards, better memory, etc. As you write, effective over-clocking is not as simple as dialing in a different CPU clock #.

"The settings in the BIOS are there to be used, if desired. If they were dangerous, they would not be made available."

Dangerous to your computer hardware or dangerous to your data? It is easy to enter settings that allow the system to operate at higher clock speeds at low CPU loads but crash at higher loads. It is just as easy to dial in excessive voltages. And I notice I'm able to over clock more with the window open as well as in the winter (indoor temp 65-57 F) than in the summer (indoor temp 80+ F)
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #17
Major Player

Thank you Jeff for a very informative reply to my query about overclocking. Your explanation is very easy to understand and I will place this info into my personal manual. Thanks again and may I take this opportunity to wish you, and all contributors to this forum who have helped me to overcome problems during the last twelve months, a very merry Xmas and a trouble free editing new year. Thanks everyone.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Gints, the specifics you mention are all covered in good OCing directions.

I've been using the same case for 4 years. In my case, the CPU fans are on constant speed, not variable. The fans I use are so quiet I don't even notice them. You mention Turbo boost. If you (or anyone, not you specifically) are following directions, you will probably turn Turbo Boost off. These things go without saying. It's like the first thing you do, as well as disable spread spectrum clocking, etc. I don't list these things because those specifics will be covered in directions that one should be following if they are overclocking. The specifics of how to overclock are not what Roy asked, he asked what Overclocking meant.

Typical directions for overclocking will list all applicable settings: disable spread spectrum settings, etc, turn off turbo boost, etc. These are the basics, all included in a good set of directions for OCing. That's why I say it is easy.

For small increases in speed, it really is as easy as applying the settings, and if you monitor your temps you'll be fine. If a person crashes after changing settings, they didn't follow directions. But for a modest overclock they will not crash, but if they do, it's not a big deal, but for a modest overclock they should not crash anyway. Directions that one follows should include using Prime 95 to test stability.

If you can run Prime 95 overnight or longer without issues, then you will be fine. First thing you do after overclocking is test the system under load, and if it crashes, that's cool, you just back off, but for small increases, say 3.4 to 3.8 it's likely a non-issue. The new chips, like the 2600 are practically made for overclocking. If you have to change your settings depending on the ambient temps in the room, then you are probably running too high, and you are running too close to the edge. but it doesn't hurt anything if you do. If you need to lower your cpu speed in the summer, that's cool. For me, if I had to adjust depending on the ambient temperature of the room, it would mean I didn't have enough headroom to begin with, and I would want a better heatsink or to run slower.

Common sense is what rules the day. The first thing I do after I find what appear to be good settings it render a two hour wedding shot in HD and render it to SD widescreen DVD, because that is what causes my system to run the hardest and hottest, at least that I know of. Rendering to HD is not as hard on the system as converting HD to SD. Core Temp is running at all times, and I always know CPU temps.

As I said, if you follow directions, it is quite simple. Directions should included downloading and running Core Temp, Prime 97. and some use CPUZ, but I don't use it myself.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...