the right pc for the right job at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 15th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

the right pc for the right job

hi all

ive looked around the forum and could not find the right pace to post this message

i have decided to upgrade my pc by building a new one. As ther is so muchinformation online and the fact im not great with the techie side of this, i needed some suggestions on what machine i should go for, its mainly for video editing and graphics work.

i would love to hear what fellow members are using and whats worth getting?

best regards
ismail
Old December 15th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: the right pc for the right job

If you've got the money, the Intel 3960X is said to be the best CPU for editing and 3D rendering by Maximum PC. The CPU alone will set you back a grand, but it's 27percent faster rendering Vegas 10 than the next fastest CPU (which also costs a grand).
Steve Rusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I would go with an i7 processor like the 920... It's about $280 at Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! the last time I checked... and you won't notice a huge increase in speed between it and the $1000 top of the line one. Buying the top of the line processor is always a mistake and waste of money, especially when it's so easy to safely overclock CPUs these days.

Get an SSD hard drive for your main drive and use spindle sata drives for your higher capacity drives to hold your footage.

Load up on RAM and get a decent video card. Best monitor for the money is a $550 24" Dell 2410U... It beat out $1000+ monitors on correct color, etc...

You could get an entire killer video editing system for under $2000

A great resource for computer info is AnandTech they have a great forum there too!

Hope that helps
Michael LaHatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #4
Major Player

Michael,

That i7-920 is actually a poor choice for the money these days: It is (relatively speaking) old and outdated (it is, after all, a three-year-old CPU at this point in time). Plus, if one doesn't overclock heavily, the i5-2500 and even the i5-2400 can equal the performance of the i7-920 for less money. And it is priced way too close to a faster-performing i7-2600(K) for comfort. In other words, the only way that the i7-920 would be a good value is if it were priced no higher than $160.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

You are correct Randall! And actually I would wait until the fist of the year when the new CPUs hit the market if you can...
Michael LaHatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael LaHatte View Post
You are correct Randall! And actually I would wait until the fist of the year when the new CPUs hit the market if you can...
That's when the i7-3820 or i7-3830 (both LGA 2011 CPUs that require an X79 motherboard) would begin shipping. Despite having only four active cores, the performance would be roughly equal to those of an i7-2600K or i7-2700K (at stock speeds) but with much more room (in terms of the number of PCI-e lanes) to add additional components such as a discrete hardware RAID controller card and a video I/O card. (LGA 2011 is currently available, but the least expensive such CPU that's currently available is priced at $600. Plus, the currently available stepping of the X79 chipset has PCI-e 3.0 support, eight of the promised 10 SATA 6.0 Gbps ports and Intel SRT (SSD caching) - all of which were promised - disabled during manufacture, so that in the end it offers no new features over the older X58 chipset other than the fact that the PCI-e x1 or x4 slots now run at full PCI-e 2.0 spec (the six-lane PCI-e controller hub in the ICH10R that's used with X58 is only PCI-e 1.1 compliant).)
Randall Leong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...