DNxHD & Sony Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 20th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #1
Major Player

DNxHD & Sony Vegas

Does anyone use the DNxHD codec from AVID in Sony Vegas? If so what is your workflow & thoughts? Does Vegas render to DNxHD?
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: DNxHD & Sony Vegas

Yup, I use it all the time. Here's some reading material: HD Video for the Web - Guide for Vegas Users If that doesn't make sense, reply back here.

...Jerry
Jerry Amende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Jerry,

I've tried using your DNxHD/Handbrake route to get a good downres but each time I run the render on a small test clip it consistently crashes Vegas at about 19%. If I use a shorter clip it gets further in percentage before crashing, indication some sort of memory issue. If I let the analysis run it recommends upgrading to the version I already have.

running Vegas Pro 10e build 238 in Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
hardware is Core i7 920 with 12GB RAM

Any Ideas please?

Steve
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Steve,

I don't have any answers.

What is your source footage, project properties & render settings? MediaInfo might help.

...Jerry
Jerry Amende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Try making your rendering threads 1 for each core (8 for hyper-threaded, 4 for hyper-threading off) and do NOT use any memory for dynamic RAM preview.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Guys, thanks for the replies.

Jerry,

I have tried rendering both HDV, (1440x1080 25i) and Canon 550D .mov, (1920x1080 25p) source material. The crashes seem to occur at a consistent percentage for each file size, i.e. if I try to render a larger clip, it reaches a lower percentage of its total duration than if I use a smaller clip. This is why I think that there may be some sort of memory or buffer overflow involved. I have 32 bit Vegas on a laptop with 32 bit Vista, I shall have to run some test renders on that.

Jack,

I know I am not using dynamic RAM preview, but I'm not sure how to relate the number of rendering threads to the number of cores. For the tests, so far the clips do not have any edits or effects, they are just there to check the (eventual) quality of downscaling.

Steve
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Steve,

This is a real longshot, but you're not rendering to a FAT32 formated drive, are you?

...Jerry
Jerry Amende is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...