CPU at 16%? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 1st, 2012, 02:47 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: CPU at 16%?

Addendum to previous note: it gets more confusing. The mp4 file prepared with GPU assistance, which took longer, is 438 Mb and has a nominal data rate of 25254 kbps (Ok, it varies..). The file prepared without GPU assistance is 382 Mb and has a nominal data rate of 21969 kbps. And I didn't change anything I swear!

To the naked eye they look the same...

HUH??
Ron Windeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 04:01 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I now have Vegas11. I don't notice a slow down, but I don't notice a speed up with GPU for a basic render of HD footage. I will experiment with over clocking the nVidia 560Ti. There are other factors such as disk write operations and on-CPU cache as well as main memory bandwidth. Bring up the task manager and check out the options to monitor memory and disk operations.

A graph of CPU usage utilization is not an accurate measure of the efficiency of a process, and we should not be distracted by comparing the graphs. If the threads running on each core are stuck waiting for the results of another core or to access the off-chip cache or main memory, then the core will not be used at its full-capacity and its bar graph will be short. If a thread is running highly repetitive math operations that does not need a river of data in to produce a river of data, then the cores will have a large bar graph.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 04:09 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Windeyer View Post
The mp4 file prepared with GPU assistance, which took longer, is 438 Mb and has a nominal data rate of 25254 kbps (Ok, it varies..). The file prepared without GPU assistance is 382 Mb and has a nominal data rate of 21969 kbps.
We shouldn't be surprised that different MP4 encoders are used for GPU and CPU, but it would be good to what is different. Which model of GPU? A good feature for the future would be for Sony software to figure out if GPU rendering is better or worse and adjust automatically.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 03:26 AM   #19
Regular Crew

First of all, great thread.

I had the same question for my machine. cpu was somewhere 15-25% while rendering.

I now work on a project that has some magic bullet effects and sone new blue and some color corecting from Sony's own plugins.

The magic Bullet ones are SLOW. and not using all threads of the cpu

New Blue, cope better

Sony's is way faster, but do only the basic stuff, unfortunately.

Anyway, if i disable the GPU from the magic bullet preferences, cpu DOES engage at high percentages, but does not makes rendering any faster.

Machine: i7 960 (OC@3.6) 24GB ram @ 1600, NO raid, NO ssd's just different hdd for everything.
Stefanos Lampridis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...