Vegas for Windows 8? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 2nd, 2012, 04:12 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Vegas for Windows 8?

It should be noted this is the earliest of versions. Consumer feedback will cause a number of changes to the finished product, I'm sure. I'm also sure they are quite aware the design will piss off some people, and others will like it, and they likely will try to meet somewhere in the middle as they try to move ahead with their vision.

It is way too early to freak out over this, it's not even close to ready for prime time, and as people pick apart it will all be fine, or it won't. I like Windows 7 just fine, but I hope 8 kicks some booty.

We should also remember this is only one version of Windows, they will likely offer others as they always do with added features or flexibility. After all it has to work in the coporate world, and they have a LOT riding on this release.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 05:25 PM   #17
Trustee

i think it's a brave (or foolish) man who opts for using a beta / rc / rtm (without sp 1) for anything remotely connected with earning a living.

for fun, hell yes - but don't try to compare a half-baked os against a well established one.

as for metro - it's ghastly, something my grandkids will probably like, and that's who it's aimed for i suppose ;-)
Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:51 PM   #18
Inner Circle

They really can't be serious with this interface can they? I understand the idea of creating a "one size fits all" UI, but that's just doofy...

Having experimented with tablets, there just are too many things you DON'T want to do on them, along with the limits you quickly reach on a phone size screen. Although I have gone over to smaller laptops for convenience, I'm not convinced that the computer is about to be replaced for CREATING content... OR for a "power user"... these "social network" style things are probably great for teens and youth, but not sure they will result in anything more productive than Solitaire...

I think the key word is CONSUMER - these toy like interfaces that a child or a monkey can poke at and "get" are fine for CONSUMING content, but creating it???

We may be looking at the demise of the "computer" as we've known it, replaced with a "toy" for consumption of "whatever" - looking at the "apps"they "featured", I'm thinking to myself that these basic functions aren't anything that special, and will have little or no staying power, and wonder what creators of the traditional PROGRAMS will do with this "design"...

I suppose I will have to download and try this thing out just for giggles, but dang, from the "preview" site, it looks more like something I'd buy for a toddler in the toy section than a "computer"!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:35 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I think griping is premature. It's a beta release and nothing more. It offers a Win7 like desktop, and reviews are saying it's zippy, which sounds good.

I ran Windows 7 for about a year before it was released to the public, and it was more stable for me than Vista ever was. This version may, or may not be stable, etc., but I'm anxious to get it installed and find out. I suspect it is quite stable for a beta version, but only time will tell.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 04:01 AM   #20
Major Player

Hmmm...i'm itching to install W8 but Leslie's words are scary. I don't have a second system to install W8 for a tryout and not really sure whether I should use my main system as a guinea pig right now. I do suspect that Windows 8 is mostly a cosmetic upgrade rather than anything substantial and looks more geared to tablets and touch interfaces. Its also mostly trying to emulate Apple's operating systems. Not sure whether this is the best way to go though, but hasn't it always been like that?

Anyway, have downloaded the install files. Lets see if I decide to take the plunge. You guys say that Vegas seems to work fine, so that's a good reason, right?
Old March 3rd, 2012, 04:11 AM   #21
Trustee

I would heed Leslie's words, if this is your "money maker" machine dont do it.
Stick it on an external HDD to play with.
Or, I used shrink disk and made a small partition on the back end of my C drive ( it says u only need 20gb, but my install took about 19, 30 is realistic).
:)

Last edited by Gerald Webb; March 3rd, 2012 at 04:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Gerald Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 05:42 AM   #22
Major Player

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I think griping is premature. It's a beta release and nothing more. It offers a Win7 like desktop, and reviews are saying it's zippy, which sounds good.

I ran Windows 7 for about a year before it was released to the public, and it was more stable for me than Vista ever was. This version may, or may not be stable, etc., but I'm anxious to get it installed and find out. I suspect it is quite stable for a beta version, but only time will tell.
Griping is not premature. Isn't the whole point of an early preview to flag up issues or dislikes? If we don't gripe now, it will be too late.

Yes it is an early look, however the developer preview still had a start button, although it threw you into Fisher Price land the same as now, and there were more complaints than praise for it then. Forward to now and the consumer preview that is feature complete so they say, and it's worse, no start button at all!

It's all about branding, brand recognition, micro-payments and downloading silly little apps that might be useful on a mobile device while waiting for a bus but are pointless when you have the power and screen real-estate of a decent computer or laptop.

I can't believe the more traditional start menu is waiting in the wings on a professional version of Windows 8 as surely given the backlash Microsoft would be quick to quieten it with a reassurance that the Metro UI was just a toy for the social networking addicts.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 06:58 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Ali, common sense would tell us to install on an extra hard drive, not wipe your current C drive to install it. Leslie's warning is scary if that's what you're thinking of doing. If that's what you're thinking of doing, stop right now.

Install a drive for the purpose of installing Windows 8. Zero out the new drive then install Windows 8. When your're done playing with it switch out drives or whatever. Piece of cake. It costs nothing if you have an extra hard drive.

OK, griping is part of the point Phil, you're right, particularly by those who have played with it.

I'm surprised at the things I'm reading on the web by the legions of folks who hate it that haven't tried it. Shouldn't be surprised though, this is normal isn't it?

I personally will reserve judgement until I've run it myself. The design of Windows 8 looks to me like a natural evolution in this age of social media. While it's too early to tell if it will be successful, I do not blame Microsoft for their attempt to stay relevant, they have no choice. Think about it people.

Anyway, it seems clear that the way to go is to install the Beta, and then in my case I turn off the Metro design, and then run it to see how fast and efficient it is.

I just hate to see panic in the streets over this. I know it's natural for people to resist change. It's frightening to all of us. On the other hand this is where things are headed. I personally do not tweet or even text, and see social media as stupid and a waste of resources, as is the vast majority of web content. Nevertheless, I do not want to see Microsoft fail They manufacture the operating system that I run my computers with, and I have a vested interest in seeing them succeed. If they do good I'm happy, if not I would be disappointed; but not out of love for MS, but because I'm affected by it.

For the next few years, at worst, I will have Windows 7 even if I don't like Windows 8.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:29 AM   #24
Major Player

Hi

A word of warning, if you install a second hard-drive, Windows 8 will still take over and become the primary way of booting into your computer, in other words it modifies the boot loader on your Windows 7 hard disk, even if you didn't boot from it. This means you will have problems removing the second disk afterwards. Windows 8 will let you boot into Windows 7, but it starts Windows 8 first, almost gets to the end of the boot sequence then asks if you want 8 or 7, if you say 7 it reboots again into 7.

So if you use a second disk, disconnect your first disk.

Also I'd recommend making a system image and recovery disk first if you have a USB drive with enough space, this makes it childs play to get your Windows 7 system. I just re-instated Windows 7 on a laptop I tried Windows 8 on from a system image, no problems at all, and so nice to have got rid of the Metro UI. Feels like an operating system for an adult rather than a Facebook teenager with a short attention span and money to burn on downloading pointless weather apps.

Quote:
Anyway, it seems clear that the way to go is to install the Beta, and then in my case I turn off the Metro design, and then run it to see how fast and efficient it is.
You can't turn it off, certainly not officially. It isn't any faster or any more efficient than Windows 7, it is just Windows 7 with an interface designed for touch screens and being a driver towards downloading 'apps' for extra MS profit. Unless you are in IT or software and need to see the new interface first hand, it isn't worth bothering with.

Quote:
I just hate to see panic in the streets over this. I know it's natural for people to resist change. It's frightening to all of us. On the other hand this is where things are headed.
There is no panic, there is no resistance to change, but there is a resistance to seeing things become worse rather than better. There is nothing original or special about the Metro UI, it is just bigger square icons to jab your finger on, and full screen applications with scant functionality being just enough to let you post a picture to Facebook or Tweet you are on the toilet by thumbing a glossy screen covered in dirty greasy finger marks. The problem is Microsoft would do well not to forget the PC and millions of people that use them day in day out and got them where they are today, but they seem to have.

Quote:
For the next few years, at worst, I will have Windows 7 even if I don't like Windows 8.
Exactly, many millions of people will stick with Windows 7, and many millions more will be downgrading to it no doubt. Metro UI belongs only on smaller form factor touch screens, on anything else it doesn't work any better than what we had before, and for many people they find it worse.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:18 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Phil, I guess I've done this kind of thing too many times. I would assume anyone would disconnect a primary disc before installing a secondary OS. It's just common sense. You use your current OS to zero out the drive, then you disconnect your primary it and install the Beta on the new disc. You leave the cover off of your box and just plug in the drive you want to use if you're going to switch back and forth. It's really too simple.

I forget there are people that may not know that.. I've done this more times than I can count. I'm no expert, I really don't know anything about software, but there are many ways to do this. You can run the beta from a USB stick you don't even need to use a hard drive, but it would likely be slow as heck I imagine. You can use an esata drive or other external also. People just need to think before they do stuff.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:59 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Preferably if you're beta testing, have a dual boot system with two drives, selct from them in BIOS or in bootup (usually via a "F key" on most machines). That way you can just swap back as needed, if you don't know how to set this up, you probably shouldn't be "volunteering" to be a test bunny...

I'll probably set up a "scratch" disk with W7 mirrored/cloned from my "main" drive (Seagate and WD have FREE utilites to "clone" if you have a drive of those brands), then install W8 to see how it goes - it was pretty obvious that W8 wants to just get busy and "take over" when installed... I'll pass, until proper testing protocols can be set up!

As for the "marketplace", I think we all know deep down that for the "average user", the computer is probably passe' - why have a big balky machine that gets viruses and BSOD's when you can have a similarly twitchy (OK, maybe not quite as glitchy, but my Android adventures were not promising...) device that fits in your pocket or purse and gives you connectivity everywhere? And put all your "stuff" in the cloud... (I already have security nightmares... CANNOT see this ending well!). But how many people REALLY need the capability of a traditional computer anymore... it's rapidly becoming a "niche", with cell phones and tablets taking over...

Personally, I'm making a switch to small laptops, which can easily hook to a big screen via HDMI, are portable, and I can easily store my "stuff" on small USB HDDs. My adventures into tablet land and/or using my phone quickly showed that there are limits, which I wasn't willing to accept - a small laptop computer, however, seems to work rather well. AND I can use my "stuff" as I expect to, with an interface that doesn't feel like it's meant for tiny pointy little fingers... Don't get me wrong, I like touchscreen interfaces for many things, cameras included, but there are limits to the functional capabilities of a SMALL screen.

Reviewing the W8 preview site, it was obvious that the design goal of W8 was a "unified" user interface that was to be consistent between any and all "devices" (phones, tablets, computers, whatever). All I can say is my kids and I don't wear the same socks, etc... either in size OR in color/style!

Rather shortsighted of MS to attempt such an interface, as some parts will still be too "big" and others will feel terribly constricted (like big bold/yucky "buttons"?). It's what happens when you try to make one design "do it all"... it will probably do NOTHING well, at best, and most likely achieve stunning mediocrity across the markets it touches.

In the end, it will be stability and performance that make the "decision" - my W7 machines seldom need a hard reboot, I just let them sleep or hibernate and wake when needed. The few glitches are usually easy to work around or wait for a patch. MS security essentials seems to protect well enough against potential threats, with little or no performance hit. They do the job, and replaced XP for all but one lonely box around here... There would have to be some significant performance improvements to get me too excited abut W8, but I'm willing to check it out, aside from the initial reaction to the blucky interface...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:37 PM   #27
Trustee

For anyone that wants to bypass Metro and have a Start button again...…
ViStart: Free Windows Vista and Windows 7 Start Menu Clone for Windows XP - Tweaking with Vishal
Attached Thumbnails
Vegas for Windows 8?-win-8-start-orb.jpg  
Old December 17th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #28
Trustee

After all these months how is your life with WINDOWS 8 guys?
Very curious about that as i don't know if i have to buy Win 8 or trying to find Win 7 64 bit!

thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #29
Major Player

I updated from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 8 Pro just after the release. The only Vegas issue is that I had to uninstall and reinstall Vegas Pro 12 as it kept asking for registration and didn't show up in the applications list. All seem to be going well now.
Old December 17th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Windows 8 runs the same as Windows 7, almost no difference. I ran the beta for a while, then I bought it immediately.

No issues.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...