Avchd & mpeg at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 07:34 AM   #1
New Boot

Avchd & mpeg

I have Vegas 10. I've done multiple multi cam editing projects with Canon HV30 tapes. A friend has asked me to edit a 3 cam shoot. 2 Cams are Canon XHA1--tapes--1440x1080--no problem.. The other file is AVCHD 1920x1080 (I don't know the camera). Can I use the AVCHD files directly in the multi cam project or do I need to change them. Would I ultimately render in 1440 or 1920. I am an amatuer hobbyist
John Contovasilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Avchd & mpeg

I don't know Vegas. (I use Adobe and Edius Neo 2.5, so I can't explain exactly what you must do).

I am nearly certain you'll need to convert the AVCHD into an editable format. Natively, it's heavily compressed and usually uneditable, unless your version of Vegas provides for conversion. Neo 2.5 allows mixing clips of different format types/frame size on the timeline; I don't know if Vegas does.

If Vegas doesn't allow it, and you don't have a means of conversion, I'm pretty sure there are free apps available, but because I use Neo for that, I can't recall any off the top of my head. Search these forums for specifics.

If you REALLY get stuck, depending on the size of the file, I might be willing to run it through Neo and ship it back to you.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:42 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Generally speaking: Yes you can. Just drop it on the timeline and go.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Jubal 28

Vegas 10 should handle any AVCHD easily. With up-to-date hardware, it should be a breeze.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Danatzko View Post
I don't know Vegas. . . .

I am nearly certain you'll need to convert the AVCHD into an editable format.
Why would you post this, if you don't know? Why would you even assume it?
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

It's not a problem.
I've edited a 3 camera shoot in Vegas 10 with clips from Canon HV40, XHA1 (both HD) and HFS21 which is AVCHD.
As Edward says, just drop them on the timeline and go.
David Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Contovasilis View Post
I have Vegas 10. I've done multiple multi cam editing projects with Canon HV30 tapes. A friend has asked me to edit a 3 cam shoot. 2 Cams are Canon XHA1--tapes--1440x1080--no problem.. The other file is AVCHD 1920x1080 (I don't know the camera). Can I use the AVCHD files directly in the multi cam project or do I need to change them. Would I ultimately render in 1440 or 1920. I am an amatuer hobbyist
Depending on the performance of your computer editing system, you can import AVCHD clips directly into the Vegas timeline. Render to 1440x1080, in this case, since it is easier to get good results with downsizing rather than upsizing. You might want to transcode the AVCHD material to a less compressed format such as Cineform if your system's CPU is on the weak side.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...