DVDA 5 Menu buttons at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 17th, 2012, 03:58 AM   #1
Major Player

DVDA 5 Menu buttons

As a relative newcomer to DVDA 5 I have successfully made a menu with all the buttons working ok but the images of the scene in each button is static and I can't find anyway of making the images show a moving part of the scene as a loop. Can this be done and if so how? If it can be done I'm probally reading the jargon in the help wrongly. I've been searching the help as Animating buttons, this is the way it is described in Sonic MyDVD. I think it is more interesting to the viewer to see the moving images in the menu buttons so I hope someone can tell me how to do it.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: DVDA 5 Menu buttons

Roy

About a year ago Sony aired a webinar which went into a lot of detail about the menu structure and buttons..
Here's the link
Webinar: Creating DVDs and Blu-ray discs with Vegas Pro and DVD Architect Pro

Cheers
David Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 05:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

You might start by going to your Menu Button Properties > Media, Thumbnail Properties, Thumbnail Media, Replace...(with the video clip you want), in Style choose Animated. Used also MyDVD (for too long).
You have DVD A Studio, but most of the many tutorials are good for it also.
Jorma Nippala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 06:47 AM   #4
Major Player

David. I have studied quickly the tutorial you kindly gave me the link to, and although very good it appears to be about Vegas pro 11 and architect 5.2. I have Vegas movie studio 10 platinum and DVDA 5. A lot of the info contained in the tutorial doesn't appear to apply to my version.

Jorma. in the drop down box you refer to, the choice of style of the button is greyed out and fixed on still.
Old March 17th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

You must set the menu button to "Animated". However, the menu must also have a "Length". You can also set the startpoint in the video where you wish the animation to start.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 07:23 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Roy,
check the Edward T. post. And did you replace a.jpg with a.mpg in Thumbnail media?
Old March 17th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks guys, I have now got the thumbnails in the menu display to animate. The problem is that they all continue to play to the end of the video. Although the text will show what the content of each chapter is, the image continues to play and show what's in the next chapter and so on. I thought I could make a loop for each chapter thumbnail . but it hasn't made any difference. So if you can tell me how to make each thumbnail play the same few seconds repeatedly as a loop I will be most grateful.
Old March 17th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #8
Inner Circle

You need to set the length of time in PROPERTIES.
Old March 17th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #9
Major Player

where and how do I find properties?
Old March 17th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Yes,
you'll find that option in Menu page properties, Menu length Specify, Length (e.g. 00:00:15,000). Also change in End Action, Command to Loop, if you want that.
in DVDAS Help, see Setting looping points for menus.
Old March 18th, 2012, 03:57 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks again all you helpful guys. All your advice was taken on board and certainly put me on the right track to achieving the result I wanted. The reason I couldn't loop the thumbnails was because I hadn't clicked onto specify the length of the menu, I had left in on Auto. There's is one point however that I find a bit distracting and that is the music playing during the menu display is I presume linked to the looping of the thumbnails. As a result when the end of the length of menu is reached with the thumbnail display it also comes to the end of the music and so the music repeats from the beginning again. I suppose there is no way the music can be played without looping whilst the thumbnails are looping. Thanks again
Old March 19th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #12

Yes, there is only one "length" so you must make everything conform to that length. I'd change the music to, somehow, properly match the length you need - and probably fade in/out so the transition isn't jarring.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 03:24 AM   #13
Major Player

I have found the way to make the music play in the menu display without a gap between repeating the loops.
I simply click onto loop point and set it at 1 second. Sounds great with no jarring to the ear.
Old March 21st, 2012, 04:38 PM   #14
Major Player

REGARDING LAST POST. FALSE ALARM. iT WORKED WHILE WATCHING AND LISTENING TO THE PREVIEW BUT WHEN PLAYING BACK THE DVD IT WAS BACK TO NORMAL WITH A NOTICABLE AUDIO BREAK BETWEEN REPEATS WHILE MENU BEING DISPLAYED. AH WELL BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:41 AM   #15

A DVD player takes time to move the playhead. A computer doesn't require that time.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...