Migration: Not only for birds. A little help here please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 10th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Tourist

Migration: Not only for birds. A little help here please

Greetings esteem fellows of Vegasland.

I'm a user of Vegas since V4 (or so) and have dutifully accommodated newer versions of this great app right up to this current iteration, VP11. Of which much can be said, yay and nay.
I'll not open up the 'naughty file', just yet.

I have this question, its probably been answered before but I'd like the straight dope on it from those who know:

I'm about to re-OS my older by reliable quadcore AM2+ 9550, 2 x 320Gb 8800GTS (old but trusty) with a sparkling new 64bit Win7, (so I can take advantage of the 8gb memory newly installed.)

So far, so good, now...once I've installed my shiny new Vegas Pro 11 64 bit, will I still be able to open up my older, hard won, SV11 32bit veg. files?

I have no desire to return to 32bit land, (OS or SVP) and have no third-party fx or plugins installed.

So, whats the word?
Craig Storey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Migration: Not only for birds. A little help here please

I used to dual boot XP and Windows 7 64bit and opened and saved the same projects in both all the time,
you will be fine.
As you mentioned, the only issue is moving backwards and forwards in versions of Vegas, once you save with a newer version you cant open new saved file in an older version.
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yeap. I have both 32 bit and 64 bit versions installed on my Windows 7 64 bit operating system box.

No problems taking same project in between. Obvious exception is with 64bit only filters, etc....
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Craig as said you shouldn't have any problems opening 32/64bit projects. Have a look at upgrading your graphics card eventually, Vegas 11 really takes advantage of GPU acceleration. I play native DSLR files in my timeline at real-time speeds with monitor at Best (Full) no problems.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Storey View Post
(so I can take advantage of the 8gb memory newly installed.)
I trust you meant 8 GB (gigabytes), not 8 gb (gram bits). I’m not nitpicking here. In this case it was fairly obvious what you meant (since AFAIK there is no such thing as gram bits), but using lower case b (bits) where upper case B (bytes) is expected can give you the wrong advice when it is not obvious what you mean.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

posted in wrong topic! sorry
Rob Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #7
Tourist

Fellows, many thanks, yes 8GB, (ahem, cough) my bad.

Now...SV11 won;t open AT ALL, I've uninstalled three times, scrubbed, washed, bathed and uninstalled all I can. I've reinstalled, turned to the East and spoken prayers and swears.

32bit won't open either.
64bit a dead bird.

Help is all I can ask for. situation approaching DefCon Alpha as I have material necessary for an art exhibition (deadline in 10 days).

HELP!
Craig Storey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...