Gone to the Dark Side at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 12th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Gone to the Dark Side

I guess it was only a matter of time, anyway.

A few years ago I stopped buying PCs because I am not geeky enough to take care of them in a manner in which they have become accustomed to be taken care of. It seemed like every-other-month my machine wound up in the shop. So after hearing many stories of people switching to Mac for hardware and running Windows on them, I took the plunge. I've had two since the first one in 2007, and neither has ever been in the shop for repairs. And maybe it's just because I wanted it to be so, it also seemed like Vegas (which I've used since V3) ran better on the Mac.

I upgraded to Vegas 11 when it was released. It seemed to run okay to me, but I wasn't doing anything complicated at the time. Shortly thereafter they released the first update and things quickly got to where it was no longer any fun to work in Vegas. After a week of that, I asked Sony to refund my money, which they did.

I went back to Vegas 10e. Simultaneously, I tried Final Cut Pro X. I discovered it wasn't clunky like other versions of FInal Cut Pro. In fact, there are some intuitive, Vegas-like features. But since I've spent most of my editing time on Vegas and Avid, I was reluctant to get too much into FCPX.

That all changed when Vegas started to do clip substitutions and lock-ups I'd only read about previously. They drove me nuts for almost two weeks. That was it. It was time to look elsewhere. I went back to FCPX, this time after downloading some tutorials. Now I'm very comfortable with it. The fun has come back to editing. Long story short: This is my Sonic Foundry/Sony Vegas swan song.

I regret things having come to this. I will miss the editing system on which I spent so many years and did so many projects. I'll miss the great advice I always go in this forum. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

I wish all of you the best, and thank you for all the great tips.

If anyone wants a Vegas 10 license, email me a serious offer.

Charles
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Gone to the Dark Side

interesting....

but don't you miss the plethora of software available for the pc?

i'm asking cause like many others i'm getting very iffy about vegas 11 - and thought about edius as a fall back.

i used to use macs in a previous life, (avid, media 100), and the thought did cross my mind till i read about the mess fcp had become.

so are you saying fcpx is upto the mark with 'serious' editing, and able to run the multitude of excellent plugins available for vegas (genarts, magic bullet, boris)?
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Wrangler

I'm still a big fan of Vegas, and if Sony ever makes it for Mac OSX I'll ditch FCP X in a second. But in the meantime, I find FCP X "good enough" that I don't have to have two systems running. The older FCP Studio drove me nuts, I always had a second Vegas system running.
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
interesting....

but don't you miss the plethora of software available for the pc?
Some, yes. I could still run WIndows under BootCamp and continue to use them, but I don't use them enough to justify the dedicated HD space Windows and the programs want. I've found for my use the stuff Mac OS has out is sufficient. There are also some very nice plug-in effects available for FCPX. Titling in FCPX is tons more versatile than it was in Vegas (that was always my biggest gripe). But Vegas still trumps FCP (X or otherwise) for working with audio.

Not sure what I'll do with all those New Blue plug-ins I bought.

God, I can't believe life has come to me saying nice things about Macs.
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Charles I cannot make you an offer on Vegas license, but if you indicate your lowest price I can pass it on to a friend who wants to purchase Vegas. If he's interested I'll set it up for you. He may want to purchase your NewBlue Plug ins too, I have no idea, but if you want let me know about those also, as to which ones you have, and how much you want. If you want email me here.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

NewBlue is working on FCPX compatibility so you should be able to do a cross upgrade (PC to Mac) once that is completed.

I haven't actually played with FCPX but from the videos I've seen, it certainly looks like they really took a hard look at Vegas when they were rewriting FCPX.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Major Player

Apple makes good hardware. Over the past 10 years I've used Dell, HP, and one Acer desktop, and they've all worked fine. Laptops however have been a different story, every Dell laptop I've had has literally fallen apart, HPs have been good but feel very cheap. For on the road editing I moved to a 15" MacBook Pro in 2010 running Vegas 9 then 10 on win7 64bit with bootcamp.

I tested out V11 but hated it, so I'm sticking with 10e for now.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Major Player

Jeff: If your friend can email me proof he's donated at least $100 to Ronald McDonald House, I'll send him my license code.

mtntvguy@q.com

Edward: That would be awesome if the New Blue plug-ins would work on FCPX. I like your bleach bypass a lot more than the one that's on FCPX. I forget what the one is called that let's you do video-in-video in all shapes and configurations, but I liked that one a lot, too. The problem is, I've wiped the Windows drive and reallocated the space to Mac OS, so I can't remember which packs I purchased. There were several, but since they were all downloaded, not purchased on DVD, I can't remember which ones I had.
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Charles, I'll call my friend and tell him asap. Also, re: Newblue if you go to the site they will have a record of your purchases for sure, and I imagine your codes, though you might have to email them for your codes.
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Charles, please hold the Vegas license till tomorrow afternoon if you can. I feel my friend will buy it (make donation) but I'm waiting on his return call, he's on a shoot tonight. He happens to be a great guy who certainly could use a break, he really needs a pro editing system, and he wants Vegas badly, so I feel certain he'll want it, but I can't speak with certainty till I talk with him. Thanks in advance if you can do hold off till then!
Old April 13th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #11
Major Player

No worries, Jeff. I'll hold it.
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:54 AM   #12
Sponsor: JET DV

Charles, contact NewBlue and I'll look up your purchases.

Be aware I'm headed to NAB today so response time may be a little slower than normal.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Charles, my friend wants Vegas 11 instead of 10, so sorry! Thanks for waiting for us. Best wishes for your run with FCPX
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...