How do I sort files? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 6th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #1
Inner Circle

How do I sort files?

Hey guys, I have video files, hundreds of them from a shoot today and some are 24p and some are 60i, shot with the same camera on the same card. This happened on two cameras, to make matters worse.

How and why this situation occurred is not important for this discussion. It was a major screwup, to be sure, but the issue has been resolved for the future.

For now, I need to sort the files for conversion purposes, and I only need to convert the 60i files. The only way I can think of to figure out which are 60i is by putting them on a vegas timeline and right clicking them one at a time to see the properties. This would take forever.

Is there some way to sort the files by frame rate within Windows? It's a long shot, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has a suggestion.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: How do I sort files?

Check out mediainfo at sourceforge.net. This is a very handy utility for looking at codecs, bitrates, etc. I believe it's going to show you framerate. You can drag and drop to it... Which would be a good brute-force method to sort, too, if that is what is inevitable (?)

There are several display modes, and, I think, open-folder too.

Sure seems like this is going to take some hours. Ouch.

Maybe there is a batch method, but if not, mediainfo is going to be real handy.
Old May 6th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Jeff,

I had this happen recently, not a screw-up, just wanted to shoot the same scene with 60i, 24p, 30p. So I had a mess of formats on the same tape. I opened Vegas and also my file viewer program (FreeCommander) and had them side-by-side on the screen. In the "Explorer" window of Vegas, I opened up the capture folder and scrolled down the list of clips. Each clip I cursor over, brings up the file info at the bottom of the listing, such as clip length and frame rate. Most of my clips were shot in 60i, so each time I got to a 24p or 30p clip, I moved over to my file viewer program and moved that file into a folder named "24P" or "30P". Might be a faster method, but at least I didn't have to drop them on the timeline to examine the properties.

HTH,
Mark

PS - If you put all your files on the timeline, they will then appear in the Project Media window of Vegas, which is like a database and one of the fields is frame rate, but I don't know if you can sort by it, would seem so, just that I haven't tried it.
Attached Thumbnails
How do I sort files?-vegas-screen.png  

Last edited by Mark Watson; May 6th, 2012 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Add'l info.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 02:32 AM   #4
Trustee

project media > view details - one of them is frame rate......

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...