Building a new SuperComputer for Vegas Pro 11! - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 11th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #61
Major Player

Re: Building a new SuperComputer for Vegas Pro 11!

No pricedrop on that...

the GTX 690 is just a GTX 680 times two..
It has 2x GTX 680 GPU on the card..
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #62
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Olsson View Post
It has 2x GTX 680 GPU on the card..
Interesting. Do they share their memory? In other words, can they work as if they were one GPU with twice the number of CUDA cores? So, would they be presented to Vegas as one OpenCL device or as two? I’m asking because even if there are several OpenCL devices installed on a system, Vegas will work with only one (or at least one at a time).
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #63
Major Player

Well, the card cost about $1300 here in Sweden, so I doubt any regular videoediting guy would like to buy and test. But anyway, VP11 does only support 1 gpu unit what I know. Doesnt matter if its two seperate cards, or one card with x2 gpu. VP11 will let you choose whitch one to use...
VP is kind of new with using GPU power, and not even the supported GTX 670 (according to its own website) does work at the moment. The fastest card working at the moment, is the GTX 570, which they self demostrate as an example on their own website.
Its really bad if sony have to manually add every new card when they arrives, to be supported.. Because they dont work very fast.
Old June 18th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #64
Major Player

Hi! Just found this answer on some Q&A at sony's website regardings GPU cards having higher "compute capability" then 2.0,,,

"NVIDIA GPUs with Compute Capability prior to 2.0 are currently not enabled for GPU-accelerated video processing. We are working with nVIDIA on this issue. Click here for a list of Compute Capability levels for various nVIDIA GPUs"

That would include GTX 670, 680 and 690.... Because they is listed as Compute Capability 3.0...

the good side is: the high end graphic cards like GTX 670, 680 and 690, will soon be supported!

The bad side is: This was published 10/15/2011. Wow I told you Sony doesnt work in a fast tempo...
They doesnt seems to priority this subject. I dont think they will support the cards until SVP12 =/

heres the link if someone wants https://www.custcenter.com/app/answe...5067/kw/nvidia
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:37 AM   #65
Trustee

Quote:
"NVIDIA GPUs with Compute Capability prior to 2.0 are currently not enabled for GPU-accelerated video processing.
The keyword is prior, i.e., before. Compute Capability 3.0 is not prior to 2.0. As long as the video driver for a 3.0 card supports OpenCL, Vegas should be fully able to use it.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #66
Major Player

Ops. thanks for that. Im from Sweden, so my english isnt 100%...

Well anyway, I have GTX 670, which is 3.0, and it does support the requirments, but that one isnt working.
I have the latest drivers (Not the new BETA's, might test that one).... On a new freshly installed PC with Windows 7 x64

well se what happend in time
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:17 AM   #67
Regular Crew

Sorry for stealing the topic but the title and discussion is appropriate for what I'm going to post...

I've just upgraded from a 3 year old Q9300 quad core Acer computer (with nvidia GT440 Vista 64, 6GB memory), that I bought in late 2010, to the following custom built workstation that I spec'd myself:

Supermicro Bare Bones SYS-7035A-I with Supermicro X9DAi motherboard.

Supermicro | Products | SuperWorkstation | Mid-Tower | 7037A-i

(This system is loaded with PCI-E3.0 slots, SAS ports, Sata3 Ports, usb3 ports and FW800 ports... more than I need)

Single E5-2687W Xeon 8 core/16 threads (A second e5-2687W will be future upgrade)
32GB Kingston PC1600 ecc memory
Nvidia GTX670

1 500GB WD Caviar Black Sata3 HD (Boot Drive)
2 1TB WD Caviar Sata2 Drives in Intel Raid 0 mode (source edit drive - transfered from previous system)
External USB3 raid array for daily backup and transfer/safe keeping (transfered from previous system)
Multimedia Card Reader

Dual Monitor, keyboard, mouse & shuttle (transfered from previous system)

Windows 7 Pro 64bit Sp1

Anyways my point being...

On my old quad core system, my current vegas project with a 1.5 hour long time line would pin the Cpu to 100% and take 13 hrs to render.

On my new Supermicro system...the same project with more effects and edits - with GPU rendering disabled - 2 hrs to render! (the CPU at 63% usage while rendering)

I can now open another vegas project and continue on editing while rendering out in the background..I can be super efficient and productive now. I couldn't be happier! ...and with a modest investment I can double the system performance again. If you doubt that, check out

PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

and

PassMark Software - CPU Benchmarks - Multiple CPU Systems

I have a SuperComputer that will outperform and last for a good number of years.

There is one gotcha that one must be aware of when dealing with Dual CPU systems...removing cpu2 in a dual cpu motherboard disables half of the PCI-e slots. This was not an issue for my build as I do not need all of the slots at this time.

And all done for $1000 Canadian or so more than what high end i7- 3960x system would cost.

No overclocking, no liquid cooling.

I couldn't be Happier!

Money well invested, as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers
Ray
Ray Turcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 05:30 PM   #68
Major Player

Some time have gone by sinced I bought my computer. Still not able to render with GPU activated... I have to choose "use CPU only" when its possible to render with that option...

Anyway, it does have performance benefits... Video FX and transitions is GPU accelerated. And also many plug-ins... The general workflow is hard to measure, because Iam to lazy to remove my graphiccard and test Vegas without it...

I noticed performance increase, when I clocked the CPU from 3,5Ghz to 4,2Ghz. Both with rendering and workflow. Not with very much, but noticable...

The 32GB in RAM makes Windows handle VP11 like it was an MSN windows or something. With that I mean, VP11 isnt no longer the big application you start which takes up your whole computers resources. Not even when you rendering!!

Ray T - Nice your happy with your setup. But you should really also look into SDD flash drives as your system disk... It takes around 20 sec to startup my windows 7 x64 and engage all boot applications and drivers...
And the time to install and load up applications, is ridicoulos... fast!

If rendering out project is the most importance for you, the amount of cores is very important. Of course high clocked CPU does also helps rendering... and since VP11, the graphiccard can increase the speed for rendering (Not all formats or codecs is supported with GPU rendering, just few).

But for workflow inside SonyVegas, its all about high clocked CPU, and since VP11, a graphiccard with alot of qudas are now great for boosting up workflow (by some). RAM does also make things "happening" faster!!

Every mans setup for SonyVegas is for what he/she prioritize, or have afford with.. there are no "one and only" setup...

Happy editing everyone!
Old April 9th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #69
Major Player

Time to light up an old thread!!

I did overclock my i7 3770k to 4.6GHz, couple of month ago. And its 100% stable. I use a Corsair H100 (closed watercooler) and never have a temperature over 55°C when rendering...

The workflow on 1080p .mov files (48Mbps = 6 MB/sec) is realtime editing without stuttering or hickups (Preview set to "BEST, FULL")... If my project is set to 1080p, 29,970 progressive, my preview will also playback at 29,970...

Of course when adding third party plug-ins and having a more complex project, I lower the preview to "preview, half"

My graphic card is an nVidia GTX670 Gigabyte, which also is overclocked (+100MHz gpu core clock, +500MHz memory clock)
I Do have GPU acceleration set to ON, because it has never made my system instable...
Infact, It does make the workflow "faster" when dealing with many clips/effects/tracks and so on...

I choosed the 3770K just to be able to OC as high as I can, still having low temperatures and being stable... the 3930K is different. It generates more heat because it haves more cores/threads. Its faster when it comes to rendering because it has more threads working. But for Workflow im 90% sure that an OC 3770k at 4.6GHz, is faster then a 3930k 4.2GHz (resonable overclock for the CPU without being unstable)...

But up to the test.. Anyone have the i7 3930k (overcloked or not), that wants to benchmark a project, so we can compare with an OC 3770K ???

The benchmark will both measure preview playback inside Vegas pro 12 (or 11), and renderspeed of the project... Well the benchmark has to be measured manually by you.

If someone is up to the test, I fix a 1080p, 29.970 project, one version without FX and one with some CC or something on it, uploading it somewhere for you to download it.

interesting?

I hate guessing!!

/happy editing!
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #70
Trustee

Quote:
. Anyone have the i7 3930k (overcloked or not), that wants to benchmark a project, so we can compare with an OC 3770K ???
Hi Kim,
I have a 3930k, only running at stock speeds though.
Lets do it, tempt me to OC again :)
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #71
Major Player

Great Gerald! =D

Im going to fix a project this weekend for us to test...

May take a couple of days. Any special suggestion from your side? Something special fx or settings you want me to add?

By the way, do you have magic bullet? Just so I know if I should use it in the project or not...

/Kim

Last edited by Kim Olsson; April 10th, 2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old April 10th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #72
Inner Circle

I have an 3930 at 4.0. Would be happy to test your sample.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 03:22 AM   #73
Trustee

Quote:
Great Gerald! =D

Im going to fix a project this weekend for us to test...

May take a couple of days. Any special suggestion from your side? Something special fx or settings you want me to add?

By the way, do you have magic bullet? Just so I know if I should use it in the project or not...

/Kim
Yes Kim , throw some Mag Bullets at it.
Neat video is a good bench mark as well if you have it.
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:00 AM   #74
Major Player

Jeff, fun that you would like to join us...

Gerarld - Ok, I will use a clip with Neat video on it.

Soon as I have built an project, I will give you guys the location where you can download it from. I will put a .txt with instructions on what to benchmark on, so we can compare the resaults with eachother..

Ofcourse we share the resaults here on the forum later, so others can learn from the experience...

If someone would like to contact me, my mail adress is digitalflaskpost@gmail.com

Earlier today I sprained my foot in my work, but I will try to get it up this week!!!
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #75
Inner Circle

Sounds great, can't wait.

I would prefer a sample with no effects if possible.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...