Do you convert your footage to Studio RGB before uploading it to Vimeo/YouTube? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 27th, 2012, 06:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Do you convert your footage to Studio RGB before uploading it to Vimeo/YouTube?

I noticed that when I upload some videos to Vimeo or YouTube it has more contrast and highlights/shadows are little bit clipped. So I was wondering do you allways use Studio RGB filter before uploading your videos to Vimeo or YouTube?

BTW, is this problem caused by my browser's Flash Player plugin which displays the video or its caused by Vimeo's conversion?

Last edited by Peter Berger; May 27th, 2012 at 07:51 AM.
Peter Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Do you convert your footage to Studio RGB before uploading it to Vimeo/YouTube?

Yes, you should always use studio RGB with YouTube and Vimeo.

Now, whether you need to apply the conversion filter depends on whether the footage already is in studio RGB or not.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Do you convert your footage to Studio RGB before uploading it to Vimeo/YouTube?

No, its not. I'm used to color grade in Magic Bullet and use its scopes where I see only 0 and 100 IRE, so I color correct my footage according to this..
Old May 27th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #4
Trustee

Then yes, you need to convert it to studio before uploading it to YouTube or Vimeo. Not because they want you to but because the software players on your viewers’ computers expect it that way. You may also watch this video:

Old May 30th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the link. Do you use this method?
Old May 30th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berger View Post
Thanks for the link. Do you use this method?
No, I upload directly from Vegas. I showed it to you mostly because it explains the difference between studio RGB and computer RGB.
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I use the "better" method detailed in the clip on a regular basis, with the following changes:
Instead of DNxHD, I use Sony MXF as an intermediate format.
The "Web Optimized" checkbox in Handbrake is not important for YT and Vimeo, since they will recode. However, it's critical when creating clips for webserver hosting, and doesn't hurt for YT/Vimeo.

Results are excellent. Handbrake is using state-of-the-art methods for deinterlacing, resizing, and h.264 encoding.
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:06 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I use the Handbreak method but always get a " your video and audio may be out of sync" messsage from YouTube and many times their encoding destroys the picture...any hints to avoid this?
Roy Feldman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...