Strange Vegas 7 problem. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 26th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Strange Vegas 7 problem.

I 'm a long time Vegas user..since V3.
I have used V4 for years on my :30 SD broadcast spots. Super stable and easy on resources. Still use it for simple stuff.
Installed V7d a year or so ago, for some mixed SD and HD work.

PROBLEM: When I output the firewire preview to my external monitor (an old Panasonic 13" tube) using V4, and make color or level adjustments, everything works normally. The output is stable and I can see the adjustments I'm making.
When I try the same thing with SD footage on V7 (levels, CC etc.), the external monitor screen breaks up, flickers grey as though the firewire connection has momentarily disconnected itself. I can play back a rendered file just fine; it's only when attempting to make those FX adjustments that the breakup occurs.
The firewire cable and deck connections are good...work fine on V4. I'm using an old P4 system with a GB of RAM and XP SP2. I know that V7 uses more resources, but this is really puzzling, since I've read here that some are still using older systems with V7 and V8.
Tried re-installing V7...no joy.
Am I missing a Vegas setting somewhere in V7 preferences??

Yes, I know that my system is old, but until I upgrade to a new box, I would really like to use V7.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Strange Vegas 7 problem.

No one has had this "disconnect" problem?
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

I know I haven't in all of the various versions (basically all of them!) that I've used for that purpose.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Likewise. It may not be a Vegas problem...

I wonder if this could be a firewire driver issue? I'd look for old and current FW drivers for your card, and see if there is some roll-forward or roll-back that helps with these disconnects.

What firewire or fw on motherboard are you using? Is it OHCI? Back in the days of Pentium 4 there wasn't as much FW standardization as came later.
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Edward and Seth for the help.
I started V7 with the defaults (Ctrl+Shift) and managed to do a 2 1/2 minute segment without problems.
Changed the default RAM preview to 128MB instead of the 16MB I had before. Perhaps the extra preview RAM helps!?
Anyway, here's hoping I can get through the other segment without issues!

Thanks again,
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...