Best settings to create a DVD with 3 hours of shooting - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 16th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Best settings to create a DVD with 3 hours of shooting

For me cos I do weddings I always go for the two DVD option because you are sure to find that the brides Grandmother has an ancient DVD player that is hooked up to an equally ancient CRT TV!!

It all depends on who is going to play the DL disk...BD disks are the same..if it's going to one source and one client and you KNOW their player is 100% then go for the DL disk ..it it's likely to go here, there and everywhere, it FAR FAR cheaper to make two DVD single layer disks than have to drive out to the client and deliver another set of disks.

All my weddings are two disk sets and I have never had a comeback ...I tried a DL disk a few years back and the bride was delighted ..However Mum's copy refused to play on her Sony so I ended up doing an hour's drive there and back with DVD's that worked..the DVD's would have been a way cheaper option!!

An extra 40 cents or so for an extra blank disk is worth the extra time and you know it will work!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #17
Trustee

Ok Guys: i bought a dual layer DVD and i tried dvdarch.... At a point of the burning action pops up a Window asking me to choose to prompt stuff to a point of the video where i wanted to skip side i guess. I flagged automatic search o the point but After a while it said that i has to put a marker manually between 55 minutes length and 1 hour and 10. I set a marker in the timeline in DVDArch Then the burning process finished After 25 minutes. I went in the New panasonic DVD reader and....at the point of the marker the DVD Stops!!!!!!!!
Now i'm desperate cause monday i have to ship the DVD on a dual layer!
What did i make wrong Guys?
Many Thanks for helping me in the weekend
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Leslie, just saw your post. I have used dual layer discs for about a year for wedding DVDs and the rate of bad discs are actually less than with the single layer. I use Ridata dual layter printables. I am sold on them. I don't remember a single return on the DL.

All Hollywood type movies are on dual layer discs, so that itself shouldn't be an issue, in theory. I know burned discs in general as we all produce here can be troublesome on older players, I 've had that issue with single layer discs. Over the last few years most people have newer players so I think it's not as much a problem as it used to be here.

Marcus, I have no clue about the source of your problem, I'm very sorry. I have never had DVDA ask me to insert a marker, so that is unusual to me.

I agree I never let DVDA render for me, I render to specs before getting into DVDA so it just makes the menu and burns, no rendering. I don't think that is your problem though.

Like you I also use Auto I don't choose manual.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 12:46 PM   #19
Trustee

Hallo j,

Di you use The marker hitting The"M"button to mark The breaking point?
My pc reads The entire DL DVD but not my DVD players cause they stop at The breaking point and di not play The other layer. Any ideas?
Old November 21st, 2012, 04:59 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Marcus, I do not know about he M button or marker. I just choose "automatically choose breaking point" and that is all I have to do. Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what is happening.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 04:52 AM   #21
Major Player

Layer break must be set after more than 50% of movie and between episodes, when video is static and on sound track is silence, because DVD player can make short pause going from one layer to other.
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 05:17 AM   #22
Trustee

Even if i choose automatically.... After a while it Asks me to set a marker in a point between 56 minutes and 1 hour and 30. Then i set The marker and it said: operation succesfull! After i Go to play in my dvds...it stops at The breaking point where i set The markers!
Old November 22nd, 2012, 07:17 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Marcus, DVDA has never asked me to set a marker, so I have no clue as to what to suggest. What version are you using? An older version or newer?
Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:18 AM   #24
Trustee

Version 10.0e
Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:55 AM   #25
Inner Circle

I meant DVDA version, in case you are using a very old version, but you are using a new version. Don't know Marcus, somewhere in your process it is asking for this marker, I just don't get it.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 02:39 PM   #26
Trustee

So i think i 'll put The video in a normal DVD but i need your help for The compression values:
What would you set for a Great quality in a normal DVD with 1 hour and 41 minutes of length?
I have to Ship it tomorrow evening

The guys
Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:27 PM   #27
Inner Circle

My favourite bitrate calculator is http://www.johncline.com/bitcalc110.zip

For a 1 hour and 41 minutes DVD, try 9,608,000 / 5,608,000 / 3,368,000
Make sure to do it as a 2-pass render.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 04:29 AM   #28
Trustee

Thanks a lot for The Up!!
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...