Vegas and MOV files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 29th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas and MOV files

Hello,

For the last couple of years, I've been shooting primarily with Panasonic's GH2. I just ordered the GH3 and learned that this camera will shoot higher bit-rates using MOV files.

Has anyone had any experience with editing MOV files with Vegas? I'm currently using version 10, but would be willing to upgrade to the latest version of Vegas if necessary to cut MOV clips directly from the camera instead of having to convert them to another format.

Thanks,

Jerry
Jerry Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Vegas and MOV files

The best way to figure this out will be to do a trial on Vegas 12... it's going to be a little different on every system.

But, yes, V11 made some good improvements on playback of these camera codecs, and to all reports (my experience is limited, I've not had a major project in since upgrading) V12 has some good stability enhancements. I've been playing with OFX filters today, and that's been rock solid, unlike V11.

Processor power is a big differentiator when it comes to the AVCHD/mp4/h.264 codecs... some have had good success with GPU hardware acceleration, some haven't. Lots of threads about this here.
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Vegas and MOV files

As I recall, Vegas 12 is only a 64 bit program, now. So your upgrade to 12 would have to take that into account.

12 definitely handles .mov camera files better than 10. I have not worked with GH3 files, but have used higher bit rate files from my Black Magic Shuttle, and the newest ProRes codec seems to work fine in Vegas.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...