Documentary projects: what software? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 16th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Documentary projects: what software?

Hi, I usually use the software for documentary projects about indigenous peoples around the world. I don't need to share my projects. I usually make 30-45 minutes projects with 100GB of clips. I'm looking for a software easy to learn and with very friendly interface. Repeat: very friendly and easy to use. In your opinion is better Edius, Avid or Vegas? Thanks lot for your suggestions.
Old December 16th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Documentary projects: what software?

well since you're asking on the vegas forum i think you'll find the majority here will say vegas.

i certainly do - i do a lot of short / long form docos.

easiest answer though is simply download the trial versions of each and have a play....
Old December 17th, 2012, 03:59 AM   #3
Trustee

I find that Vegas can be as easy or complicated as you want it to be, so having used all the other editing software, I eventually settled with Vegas Pro. You should also take into account the fact that Vegas will quite happily run almost all formats at whatever resolution...
Old December 17th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Inner Circle

If you want a free professional editor, or very inexpensive for the pro version, consider Light Works.

It was designed by editors as an open source editor. The pro pay version ($60 or so) introduced professional codec to the editing system.
Old December 18th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Inner Circle

One significant advantage of Vegas for the one-man-band editor of long-form projects is that you never have to go out to an audio editor to finish. Vegas allows every bit of audio editing and mixing one could wish, including sub-frame editing. So far as I know... (???) no other NLE does this.

Granted, some of the best post-audio talent in the world is working on Protools or Logic, but if it's you doing the finish, Vegas will take you as far as you want to go with your soundtrack.

Add a mastering plugin, I like Izotope Ozone... but there are many others. Vegas accepts DirectX and VST audio plugins.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...