Vegas 12, crashing and GPU - GTX570 roll back driver at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 4th, 2013, 03:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas 12, crashing and GPU - GTX570 roll back driver

It seems there has been a recommendation by some to disable GPU to reduce freezes and crashing (both amount to the same thing I guess!!) in Vegas 12.

My Vegas 12 had been working swimmingly fine up until a video card driver upgrade a month before Christmas. I struggled on trying other methods to solve the issue. Last week I updated the video driver again to the latest and the issues with Vegas became impossible. I saw the threads about disabling GPU acceleration and tried it, it did stabilize Vegas but the render times became 5 times longer.

So I uninstalled Vegas and re-installed, not much improvement ... if at all.

I then rolled back the video card driver to the version I had first used with the initial install of Vegas 12, the driver version was about 10 months old - Nvidia 296.10 - and everything was all OK again! Smooth editing, no freezes, no crashes (well just the normal amount) and easy fast rendering, even with other tasks running in the background.

I am running Win 7x64, a Geforce GTX 570 card (recommended by Sony), i7 core, 16 gigs ram, a mix of solid state (2) and spindle hard drives (3).

Cheers and I hope this may help if your Vegas 12 suddenly starts crashing.
Robert
Old January 4th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Vegas 12, crashing and GPU - GTX570 roll back driver

you're not the only one ;-(

i'm back on 296.10 since every update since (that i've tried) has given me problems some where along the line.
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #3
Inner Circle

My update to the latest driver for GTX 460 made my windows 8 not to boot up. In all my years I've never had such an issue. I reinstalled windows, installed the new drivers, same thing happened.

Windows 8 will not boot to safe mode as previous versions, it really stinks in that regard. Needless to say I am using the driver provided by Microsoft, works fine.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #4
Trustee

Safe mode now takes just 6 easy steps versus the old backwards 1 step method. Why do they do this?

This is what PC ADVISOR says to do to boot up in safe mode:

Start in Safe Mode

Safe Mode is a great way to get into your system when something won't allow you to start up normally. Troubleshooting becomes a breeze when corrupted drivers and files aren't loaded that prevents a system from functioning. It used to be as easy at pressing F8 when the system starts up, but doing so with Windows 8 will take you to the Automatic Repair mode. The trick to getting back to good old fashioned Safe Mode? Hold down the Shift key and press F8 while booting up.

This takes you to the Recovery mode. Select "advanced options," then "troubleshoot," then the "advanced options" again (there are a lot of advanced options). Select "Windows Startup Settings" and finally the "Restart" button. This will reboot the computer and give you the option to boot into Safe Mode.

If you need to get into Safe Mode from within Windows, open the dialogue box ((Windows) + R) and type "msconfig" (no quote marks). Select the "Boot" tab and check the "Safe boot" box. The system will continually boot into Safe Mode until you go back and uncheck the box.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Tom, but I had no Windows Startup Options for safeboot in recovery mode. I spent hours trying to go to safe mode from there, googling it, trying to figure it out. It's possible I missed it, I guess, I don't know.

You can supposedly have windows boot to safemode, from within windows. after a normal boot, but that is not helpful when you can't bootup normally. Drove me crazy so I gave up and just went with the old driver.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Nvidia have just released driver 310.90 . It looks like lots of people are having success with this one, myself included.
I do think the important thing is to ensure that you carry out a clean install using, custom install , tick the clean install box so that all traces of previous drivers are removed.
Just useing the express install or letting windows update them for you is going to cause problems.
So far 310.90 has been perfect.
Gtx560ti 448 core. Windows 7 16gb ram i7 @ 4.3ghz
Pro titler, neat video, magic bullet all work without hitch.
Hope this helps.
John
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #7
Trustee

Thanks for the info John. Did you download the driver from Nvidea?
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #8
Major Player

Yes Jim, direct from their web site. I must say vegas is running perfectly for me now and i have yet to see a crash.(perhaps tempting fate :-) )
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:59 AM   #9
Old Boot

Been running 310.90 since yesterday on a CLEAN GPU driver install - never done a "clean" install before. Scary, but it went smooth as silk.

Likewise don't want to tempt the fates here either, but . . . it's looking good and solid.

GPU=ON

RAM Set aside=8GB (on a 16GB system)

Internal Settings: RAM Preview up to 2048

I had a WhiteOut on a 11 second MP4. I'll try going wholly GPU (CUDA or OpenCL) with a non-CPU template instead.

Usage:-

Media: XF300 MPEG 1920x1080i 422 50mb/sec

VFX-ing: Twixtor+Sapphire Edge Film Styles; Mercalli.
SFX-ing: Izo Denoise DX

Straight cuts; no dissolves or trannies; Compo 3 tracks using Burnt+Dodge.

Next thing will be NewBlue Pro Titler.

Grazie

Last edited by Graham Bernard; January 8th, 2013 at 04:00 AM.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:52 AM   #10
Major Player

Please keep us updated, Thanks John
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #11
Old Boot

Been running 310.90 on and off all day. I've been floggin' NewBlue Titler 2.0 in REALtime and everything is holding out nicely. I've rendered some MC MP4 and that was needing a different Template, but that froze and crashed VP12.

I have to say it "feels" more stable. I'm running 8GB RAM Set-aside and GPU enabled.

More tomorrow.

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #12
Regular Crew

i have updated to 310.90 also and Main concept is still not playing well.
i have to use the sony avc codec to work. My latest problem with this update is crashing while trying to preview in best full. If i knock it down to half, all is well.

The number one improvement for vegas would be a solid preview, and i get it in every program except vegas.
Jay Allen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...