Time-Stretch with Markers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 10th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #1
Major Player

Time-Stretch with Markers

Is there a way of Time-Stretching that shifts all markers relative to the the revised clip speed?

I've found it very helpful to place CC entries while the source is playing back at less-than full speed. Once the CC markers are in, I would like to return the clip to normal speed with the cues maintaining their relative positions.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Time-Stretch with Markers

Now that's an interesting workflow question!

So far as I know, it's not directly possible.

However, I can think of a couple things to explore.

Probably the most straightforward and flexible method would be to use J-K-L scrubbing.

J = play reverse 1x
K = pause
L = play forward 1x
spacebar = start stop play, return cursor to start of playback

Maybe you knew about this.
JJ= play reverse 2x
JJJ = 3x
LL = 2x, etc.

But, did you know about this:

K+L = play forward 1/8x (or is it 1/4?)
K+ LL = play forward faster, 1/4 or 1/2x
And so on. To do this trick, you hold down the K key and hit the L key a few times.

To do these playback speed changes without stretching the media means markers never get misaligned!

For another approach, there are "Promote Markers" scripts that transfer markers embedded in the media up to the timeline. Perhaps there are "Demote Markers" scripts as well. If this could be done, you'd do your playbacks with stretched media, mark your CCs, demote the markers from the timeline to the media, unstretch the clip, then promote the marker back to the timeline. Seems too complicated. I always think about just how many clicks it takes to do something.

For another approach, if keyboard shortcuts are unappealing, there is the little yellow "playback rate" control, um, where is that thing? I'm not in front of Vegas at the moment...

But I like keyboard shortcuts! After a while, they get intuitive, automatic, and extremely fast to work with.
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Seth... you have provided further evidence that the most clever minds are in Oregon. The K + L sequence looks to be the solution. I tried to find a method of slower playback, and you have provided it.

I'll be giving it a try soon, and will confirm the results here when I do.

Until then... thanks for solving the issue of stretch-marks.
Old February 10th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Works like a charm Seth.... thank you very much for the tips!
Old February 11th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Happy keyboarding, Marty!

Glad it seems like this will work out for you. I haven't worked with AVID, but Vegas' keyboard scrubbing is way more flexible than FCP or Premiere. This is a great little method for finding edit points too, of course, and there are lots of other keyboard shortcuts for working fast.

What market are you editing for that requires CC? Just curious...
Old February 12th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #6
Major Player

This is primarily educational DVcaptioning.

I've been utilizing the trial of Caption Assistant from VASST. It's excellent for title sync, but without properties control such as vertical and horizontal positioning of the text (no options for positioning to avoid conflict with on screen titles, etc..... and no control of transparency of the text background).

I'm reviewing the markup language commands in Vegas, but have had no luck in sorting out how to enter the parameters and how these commands are done. Hopefully, at least in the case of transparency adjustments... if they are even possible, it can be achieved globally. Marker-by-marker command inserts is obviously not a practical method when it comes to captions with 20 to 30 of them per minute of running time.

That will likely be the topic of my next forum plea!

Thanks Seth... hope all is well in the big city.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...