Best video codecs for Vegas (11 Pro)? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Best video codecs for Vegas (11 Pro)?

I've been using Vegas for several years, importing and editing footage from my Sony Z5U (.m2t files) and now my Nikon D600 (.mov files). I have a question that may have been answered elsewhere but I can't seem to find info on this.

From experience, I know that Vegas "plays well" with native .m2t files, .mov files (including H.264) and AVI. I've also imported XDCAM files without any issues. However - any .mp4 clip on the timeline creates a host of problems including halting playback and slow rendering. I've also heard that AVCHD can bog down your system.

I'm about to purchase an external HDD recorder for my Sony camera to capture 4:2:2 from HDMI. I know there's a couple of different solutions out there - the question for me is which one will record footage in a codec that Vegas likes (and won't hinder performance)? Should I be looking at ProRes, Avid DNxHD, or something else?
Sam Renkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Best video codecs for Vegas (11 Pro)?

Vegas itself can capture with XDCam HD 422 codec through simple HDMI card like Declink Intensity.
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Trustee

I regularly use files straight from my nanoFlash which are essentially high bit rate XDCAM HD files (4:2:2). I usually use Cineform as an intermediate codec and wish that a manufacturer would record to that.

OT. I thought that the D600 was still not outputting the full 1920x1080 frame from the HDMI. All reports that I've read are that with external recorders it only fills about 95% of the frame. Have they worked this out?

Thanks
Old February 25th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Actually I have no idea - I'm primarily looking at the external recorder for my Sony HDV camera. It's got good sensors and a good lens, the only thing holding it back is the HDV encode (internal).

I'm hoping that Nikon will address the 95% HDMI issue along with a fix to make it possible to change aperture while shooting video. It's not a big deal right now, but it would be nice.
Sam Renkin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...