New Computer Suitable for Stable use of Vegas 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 26th, 2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New Computer Suitable for Stable use of Vegas 12

Some advice please from those of you running stable (just odd crash!) iterations of Vegas Pro 12....

I am looking to have a new PC built for me to run Vegas 12..maybe with After Effects as well.

Could you give me your specs...especially in the region of £750 ($1500) with particular attention to the video card and main processor. There must be some good combos out there? Nvidia GTX Ge Force 560 ti - is it the most compatible and cost effective card for example? Intel i5 or i7?. sandy bridge or ivy bridge? It's so bewildering!!!! I just want to go to my shop and ask them to construct a machine that just works...

any specs sheets most welcome within my budget

many thanks.

Ian
Ian Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: New Computer Suitable for Stable use of Vegas 12

Do you have any knowledge about building a computer on your own? If not, do you have a friend who knows anything about building one for you?

Mostly I am asking because if you have knowledge, you have a good way to save some money if you get used components from a reliable seller.
Old February 27th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have no idea how to build one....that's why I am asking !
Old February 27th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Inner Circle

A mid-range or premium i7 is great for modern codecs. 12GB or more of RAM. Separate system and media drives, at a minimum. Consider SSD for a system drive, and consider RAID 0 for media. GPU acceleration is important for some, especially those cutting high-volume, not so much for me.

For me, that's about $350 for a mid-range i7 on my next build. For those cutting high volumes of projects on a deadline the choice of a premium processor can make a lot of sense.

Lots of posts on this forum on PC builds; there really is no one solution, but you can learn a lot by not only reading the threads, but by paying attention to what kind of work those posting messages are doing.

If you want more specific recommendations, you should post more info about what camera codecs you're using, what kinds of editing workflows you like, what you're cutting with now and where it is falling short.

For your $1500USD you should be able to have a very solid mid-range+ box built. You might get a spec from your favorite builder and post that for review here...
Old February 27th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'd also recommend getting an i7 build (Ivy Bridge). At least 8GB of RAM (more is always better). SSD for Windows and Vegas for a whole lot faster working (32GB / 64GB would be OK). The rest of your data can be stored on a fast HDD (I'd recommend either Western Digital or Seagate). Seth also mentioned RAID 0. I recommend doing that as well.

Personally, I don't see why you'd need very powerful GPU since I'd always render a video on CPU rather than GPU. Just get a decent. Not the newest model and you save some money. GTX 480, 550, 560 or 580 would be just fine to work with a video.
Only reason I'd render on GPU is that my CPU was so bad, that GPU was actually a better choice. But when it comes to rendering videos, I'd use the money on CPU / RAM rather than GPU. But that is just me and someone else might think that it's actually the opposite.

Of course, if you have the opportunity to get the latest and greatest of gear, I'd say 'go for it'!
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:06 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. Your info is fine, but what I am driving at here is trying to establish a configuration that works with Vegas 12...this comes from reading so many tales of woe from user who seem to have endless clashes with video cards in particular. I am just after some specs sheets from people who have a working system with Vegas 12

thanks

Ian
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #7
Trustee

happy with 550ti - don't use gpu with an i7/920
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #8
Trustee

Along same lines as Leslie..
Happy with GTX580- dont use GPU with 3930k.
Might be wrong, but I dont think many people get performance value from their GPU in Vegas.
Mine for instance, renders slower with GPU, and becomes a bit more unstable.
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #9
Major Player

With my Gtx670 it doesnt mather if I render with only CPU or using Cuda if enabled (GPU)......

But for workflow, it does increase the workflow speed with better preview and faster handling inside Vegas using FX, obvious many FX use the GPU as it states. Both sonys own and third partys..

How much better performance with GPU enable?
I dont know how to measure but from my own view I would say maybe 40% greater workflow/preview...
Less stutter with alot FX added on clips in various videotracks.

If someone would have unstable system with that setting ON, i would adress GPU drivers, firmeware for you Graphiccard, bad hardware compatible, to low PSU maybe,

I would bet my money on a gtx 500 serie becasue that card have been tested and approved by Sony Vegas. And even benchmarked with sony. i didnt know this when i built my system. Therefor no effect with keplet with rendering..
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I've just be quoted this spec....any comments welcome?

""Hi, based on the info you provided i have worked out an initial specification for you. We no longer sell the GTX 560TI so I switched that for the GTX 650. The full spec is:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Xigmatek Loki CPU Cooler
1 x 24x DVD-RW Optical Drive
Cooler Master Elite 334u Case
1 x 1TB (1000GB) Sata III Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1GB Graphics Card
MSI B75MA-P45 Motherboard
3.4GHz Intel Core i7 3770 4-Core Ivy Bridge CPU
Xigmatek 600W PSU
8GB Transcend 1333MHz RAM
1 Year Standard Warranty

I included Windows 7 because i was not sure if you would require it, The Price of the above PC is £750.90, if you did not want/need Windows 7 including the price would drop down to £669.91.""
Old February 28th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Ask him what the price would be if you'd get yourself 2x 500GB in RAID 0 with 64GB SSD.
If those are the specs you are happy with, I'd do a RAID 0 configuration with HDD's and one small SSD for Windows/Vegas.
Old February 28th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks. It was just a first quote thats all. Anybody wish to post their machines full specs? People who have no real issues with vegas 12? Thanks.
Old February 28th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I'd get at least an 800W power supply.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 05:32 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Chapman View Post
I've just be quoted this spec....any comments welcome?

""Hi, based on the info you provided i have worked out an initial specification for you. We no longer sell the GTX 560TI so I switched that for the GTX 650. The full spec is:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Xigmatek Loki CPU Cooler
1 x 24x DVD-RW Optical Drive
Cooler Master Elite 334u Case
1 x 1TB (1000GB) Sata III Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1GB Graphics Card
MSI B75MA-P45 Motherboard
3.4GHz Intel Core i7 3770 4-Core Ivy Bridge CPU
Xigmatek 600W PSU
8GB Transcend 1333MHz RAM
1 Year Standard Warranty

I included Windows 7 because i was not sure if you would require it, The Price of the above PC is £750.90, if you did not want/need Windows 7 including the price would drop down to £669.91.""
Actually, the GTX 650 is a significant downgrade from the originally specced GTX 560 Ti (performance-wise): It is barely faster overall than a GTX 550 Ti. And even the GTX 650 Ti is no faster overall than a vanilla GTX 560 (non-Ti). This makes the closest GPU to the GTX 560 Ti (on a performance basis) the plain GTX 660.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:22 AM   #15
Regular Crew

See already what I mean about bewildering !!!! I just want to buy a set up that works!

Anyway...here is a spec sheet from Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 we are the video editing and production experts website: is it gonna be ok with Vegas 12?

they seem trustworthy and respected...cost in UK maybe around £1000 or just above as I priced most items through google...I don't mind paying that for a good machine. no SSD drive?...is it needed/make a difference?

Videoguys' DIY X Ivy Bridge Budget Build (Feb 2013)

Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe $279.00
Processor Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge $319.00
RAM 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 4x4 GB kit $99.00
Boot Drive HGST 1TB 7200 RPM $103.00
Video Storage G-Tech G-SPEED Q for Ext. RAID 5 Available at Videoguys.com
G-Tech G-RAID for External RAID 0
Case Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower $60.00
Power Supply CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W $109.00
CPU Cooler COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO $35.00
Blu-ray Burner Pioneer BDR-208 Blu-Ray Disc Burner $90.00
OS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit $129.00
GPU MSI GeForce GTX 570 $219.00
TOTAL PRICE $1,442.00
Ian Chapman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...