Custom Computer Builders in USA at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 7th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Custom Computer Builders in USA

I need to replace my current computer and I'm looking at getting one with the specs in the attached image.

Can anyone recommend an online computer builder in the USA to purchase from?

Also if you have comments on the build, I'd love the hear them. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Computer Builders in USA-capture.png  
Mike Prendergast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Custom Computer Builders in USA

I just built a machine using the same processor, MB, and graphics.

I would recommend going with the H80 cooler (that is the one I have). You will have a bit more overhead in cooling capacity since the 3930k is a 130w part. I have mine overclocked to 4ghz and it stays very cool with the H80.

Also for most editing packages you'll find they prefer to run on Win7 PRO instead of HOME.
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Increase the power supply to 800w or even better 1000w.
Jim Schuchmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schuchmann View Post
Increase the power supply to 800w or even better 1000w.
Why install a +800w supply when the total connected load is under 400w?
Old March 7th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Major Player

I used Puget Systems for my current PC and I'm highly satisfied with my system and working with the company.

Custom Computers, PC Builder | Puget Systems
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
Why install a +800w supply when the total connected load is under 400w?
Future proof is cheap when building and as the PSU gets older it could loose some power as well as components eating more as they age.
Jim Schuchmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #7
Major Player

If you choose "Windows 7 Home Premium" you wont be able to use more then 16GB of RAM...
So you cannot add more later...

Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows 7 Ultimate has Physical Memory Limits of 192GB RAM!

Windows 8 - 128GB RAM
Windows 8 Professional - 512GB RAM
Windows 8 Enterprise - 512GB RAM

When going for so top notch components, why not atleast go for 32GB of RAM. The extra 16GB you miss out will be more powerfull then your graphic card you choosen... especially when the GTX 600 serie isnt even 100% compatible with Vegas Pro..

I have the Gigabyte GTX 670, Its a great workhorse for faster workflow, but forget to use it for rendering...

The Kepler serie isnt fully compatible yet.. Even that it was 1 year ago it released...

Sony them self list the GTX580 as the best graphiccard which is compatible on their webpage.

For a low cost, add atleast 32GB to your system. I saw you choosed a CPU that cost like an old Volvo, so dont be cheap on that one =)

Sorry I cant list and of my Swedish reseller and builder, that would be a great shipping cost for you =)
But buy from a dealer where you can pay an extra fee, so they professional build the system up...

/Happy editing
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Major Player

Mike,

The build that you listed is quite a bit unbalanced.

First off, the LGA 2011 CPU's memory controller is quad-channel - but then, you have only two sticks of RAM. As such, the memory controller will be crippled to only dual-channel operation, which will result in that system actually performing slower than an otherwise comparably equipped LGA 1155 CPU-based i7 system. Quad-channel operation requires all of four sticks of RAM installed (and identically-sized sticks, at that).

Second, as Kim stated, Windows 7 Home Premium (even in the x64 version) is restricted in maximum RAM support to 16GB total. (Or put it this way, you can install 32GB or 64GB in that system - but the OS itself will only see the first 16GB.) This also cripples performance.

Third, if you're using Vegas Pro, why the Kepler GPUs? You see, the GPU acceleration feature is not fully compatible with the newest Nvidia GPUs even with the latest release of Vegas Pro 12. This forces you to semi-permanently lock Vegas to the CPU-only rendering mode (which with this proposed build is unbalanced as it is).

And if you have to pick an older Fermi GPU, you're pretty much stuck with the very low-end models (unless you buy used or NOS): The higher-end Fermi GPUs are now no longer in production, and may be hard to find new.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the great feedback. Based on what i see here I'll make some changes.

David, Thanks for the comment on Puget Systems, they looked good to me but i had no experience with them.

Going to change to 32GB of RAM and win7 pro

Randall, thanks for the feedback on the unbalanced setup. I've made some changes to address that.
I don't think i need 6 cores so i'll go with i7 3770K and 32GB RAM (4 - 8GB).

What graphics card would you choose? The GTX 580 that Kim mentions is not available.
Mike Prendergast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #10
Trustee

I use avadirect.com. They are very highly rated. AVADirect Custom Computers Reviews - avadirect.com Ratings at ResellerRatings

FYI...I think your power supply is low. I would go with one of the modular cable design "gold" rated power supply such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139011
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #11
Major Player

The i7 3770k is a great choice.. I own it my self. Overclocked it to 4.6GHz with the cooler Corsair H100

The 3630k is almost the double the Price of 3770k and only has more powers when rendering.. (12threads against 8). But for workflow its hard to OC the 3630k like you can on 3770k..

About the gtx580 is availible here in Sweden, dont you find and reseller where you live? Try ebay..
If you arent a gamer or working with After affects and so on, gtx580 would be the best card for you.. As a Vegas Pro user...

I didnt know this when o bought my system...
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #12
Major Player

Much talk about PSU!

I have a PSU 650w 80+ and Im not near 500w of real use

This is my spec:

I7 3770k (4.6GHz)
Cooler Corsair H100
Asus P8Z77-V motherboard
4x8 (32GB) RAM 1600MHz Corsair
SSD 120GB Intel 520
2x2 TB seagate HD
Gigabyte GTX670
Card reader
Antec P280 chassi

Very stable computer and fast..
Just because you CAN buy a 1200w at your reseller doesnt mean you need it..
Some might who has 15 diskdrives, 3 graphiccards on same Motherboards or SLI, alot of extra usb devices and so on.

Buy an electric device (cant name it in english) and plug in between computer and wall.. Do a true check how manu Watts your computer will use
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #13
Major Player

About 8 months ago, I bought a machine with similar specs. I needed to upgrade from Adobe CS2 to CS6.
I took advantage of the Adobe discount available at the time by going through Videoguys. (I actually bought the upgrade before I had a computer to install it to). They helped iron out the licensing for the upgrade from CS2, and mentioned ADK in Kentucky as a custom builder. I called ADK, and was on the phone for nearly an hour posing questions and learning. I ultimately ordered both a workstation and a new CS6-empowered, workstation-like laptop from ADK. I first used their "configurator", and came up with what I thought I wanted, but they helped me balance it out. They built the machines, installed all the software, and both have been working fine since. (The only thing I wish I had done differently was to get a better keyboard; I got one with the "ckicklet-like" keys, and I don't like those). While ADK had a bit of a backlog, (I had to wait a few weeks to get both items), I was very happy with their responsiveness, and the build has worked just fine. It was worth the wait, for sure. I'd certainly consider buying from them again.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...