posting on youtube at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 10th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #1
Trustee

posting on youtube

Not sure whether this has been dealt with but...

Just going to post up a video on youtube...

...I chose to render out from Vegas via MainConcept AVC/AAC (mp4) > Internet HD 720p.

As it was rendering I noticed that all the stills I had incorporated into the video were not filling the screen fully (image did not go fully to top or bottom of screen) even though in Vegas they did fill the screen fully...and when I rendered it out in .avi they did fill the screen.

Any suggestions?
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 02:18 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: posting on youtube

I dont know if its more complex than this, but first guess would be-
Are your project settings the same size and aspect ratio as your render settings?
If you post both lots of settings here Im pretty sure I, or someone else, can sort it for you .
Old June 10th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Gerald. Your post gave me an idea...so I looked again at the render options and chose instead 'MainConcept MPEG2 > Program Stream Pal Widescreen' and the pictures filled the screen as intended...

The specs of this condec conform to the project specs...apparently...
Old June 10th, 2013, 04:07 AM   #4
Trustee

Uhmmm, sorry Renton, but you really dont want to use that for youtube.
one, it uses non square pixels, and two, the compression is very ordinary. File size will be big but quality will be low.
Try these settings, these will work for any widescreen PAL source.
Note the Project settings- Adjust source media checkbox. When ticked this will zoom a little bit on your source media to take up the difference in aspect ratio if there is one.
Attached Thumbnails
posting on youtube-capture.jpg   posting on youtube-capture2.jpg  

Old June 10th, 2013, 04:50 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Renton

If the video is correct then more than likely the aspect ratio of your stills are wrong. You don't say what your source video is but your stills with a square pixel format need to be at least 1280x720 (or have an aspect ratio of 1.7777 : 1 ... By rendering to MPEG 2 you are making Vegas think you are rendering to a widescreen format that has a non square ratio (as the TV stretches the horizontal pixels) so that's what it's doing. Regardless of your video format, keep your stills at 1.7777 and your will have no issues and yes use the Internet HD setting so you get an MP4 file that is 1280x720 and YouTube will love it!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 04:56 AM   #6
Trustee

Thanks again Gerald.

This project is only being put on youtube temporarily to allow a select few to view it. It is heading for being marketed on DVD.

The settings you have given meaning changing the project settings. Do I want to do that?

I've never set up a project using these settings. I've just chosen PAL Widescreen as my default.

Isn't there a codec in the render list that will work to solve the issue? I think this is the first time the problem has happened. I haven't posted to youtube for so long that I have forgotten what I used in the past. Should write down what works!!!
Old June 10th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Renton, the Internet HD 720p preset that you used is the same one that I use and I've been happy with the results. Other users tweak things a lot more using Handbrake but that's too much work for me :)

Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 05:07 AM   #8
Trustee

Try this Renton,
Start a new 1280x720 project,
Now browse in Windows explorer and drag in your Project file (.veg) into your 1280x720 timeline.
Tick the box Adjust media etc in Project settings as noted in my previous post.
Now you are rendering a 720p project to 720p render settings (as in previous post), and you havent had to play with your original project settings.
Too easy :)
Old June 11th, 2013, 03:16 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Renton

If the video is correct then more than likely the aspect ratio of your stills are wrong. You don't say what your source video is but your stills with a square pixel format need to be at least 1280x720 (or have an aspect ratio of 1.7777 : 1 ... By rendering to MPEG 2 you are making Vegas think you are rendering to a widescreen format that has a non square ratio (as the TV stretches the horizontal pixels) so that's what it's doing. Regardless of your video format, keep your stills at 1.7777 and your will have no issues and yes use the Internet HD setting so you get an MP4 file that is 1280x720 and YouTube will love it!

Chris
Hi Chris

It seems like my stills do have the wrong aspect ratio, the ones I have looked at being around 1.82339.....which is not 16:9

I'm not sure how this occurred. Many of the stills have been pan/cropped and if I recall I used Pan/Crop to fill the Vegas preview screen and thus determine my aspect ratio...but perhaps the preview screen is misleading me.

EDIT:
By the way the source video was Widescreen off my GS400 and GS500's...
If in the Pan/Crop dialogue box I change the 'Position...width and height' to 16:9, I have to under 'Source' say 'no' to 'maintain aspect ratio', and 'yes' to
'Stretch to fill frame'

Last edited by Renton Maclachlan; June 11th, 2013 at 04:03 AM.
Old June 12th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Can you not just right-click on the still in the pan/crop window and select 'match output aspect ratio'? That does the trick for me with stills.

And if you don't want to alter your project settings, I seem to recall you can select 'expand video to fill frame' on the render only, can't you? I thought that selectively zooms any undersized clips to be the right output.

Cheers
Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #11
Trustee

Only just got back to this...and found...

...all I had to do was tick 'Stretch video to fill output frame size (do not letterbox)' under 'Render Options'...in the 'Render As' dialogue box...

Now that was easy...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...