Mpeg2 to DVD issues - help needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 11th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mpeg2 to DVD issues - help needed

Hi,

I'm having trouble trying to burn mpeg2 files to DVD - and have them play on a standard home DVD player.

I'm hoping there's a straightforward solution out there...

Some background -

I've a bit of experience with editing on a Mac in late 2000's but I'm very much an amateur when it comes to editing - at the moment I'm using Sony Vegas 12 until I make a decision on whether to spend money on a Mac or new PC. I'm warming to Vegas, but this issue is frustrating - especially as I'm working on a standard laptop, so everything moving very slowly...

I have already tried to render direct to disc but the quality was terrible.

Also - I don't have time to render as another file type (it would probably take 40hours) and would prefer to work with what's there now.

I'm sure this issue isn't confined to just Vegas, so if anyone has a quick fix let me know.
Ryan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Mpeg2 to DVD issues - help needed

Ryan,
I read your post with interest then amazement. I've been using Vegas since version 2 and have done thousands of long form jobs, not just weddings but seminars, how to's and even video directions and while none of them approach more than 3 hour piece I have NEVER had a 40 hour render. This includes down rezing to SD from HD, with Color Correction, exposure help, cropping, audio help, just about every type of FX that one can think of EXCEPT Magic Bullet since that was as slow as molasses on a cold winters day under the best of circumstances.
I have to ask first then, how long is the project time wise. what format is it? HD, HDV, SD and what aspect and frame rate? What about the computer you're using? Is it up to the job? Finally what settings did you use to render to MPG? Was it VBR, 2 pass, did you render the audio to AC3? All of these thing can make a hugh difference in both the quality issue and time of render. If we can get a bit more information from you we might be able to help you out with these issues.
Last item, when burning to DVD are you using an authoring program such as DVD Architec or some othr similar or trying to burn it off the Vegas timeline?
Like I said, the more we know the easier it will be to try to help you figure it out.
Old June 11th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan James View Post

I'm having trouble trying to burn mpeg2 files to DVD - and have them play on a standard home DVD player.
Forgive me if you already know this, but you do know that you have to create an iso image to be burned to disc? Just burning the files to DVD gives you a data disc (like a usb drive) and will not play in a DVD player.
I only mention this because using the Burn disc option in the Tools menu should be foolproof.
As Don mentioned, more info on what you are doing will clarify things. Something sounds awry.
Old June 11th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Ryan

You should first off make sure your project settings are correct and, very importantly, if you are shooting interlaced, you do need to enable the de-interlace properties in project settings.

Another little trick that makes a huge difference is to put the Sony Sharpen plugin on all video track headers ..just leave it at zero! ..For some reason it works a treat.

As per Gerald's questions why not post a screen shot of your project properties window and your render window so at least we can isolate that part of the process..if you are turning out horrible MPEG2 files then they will obviously look just as bad on a DVD regardless of how you burn them.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
I'm hoping there's a straightforward solution out there...
Hi, Ryan!
As say Gerald:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Webb View Post
the Burn disc option in the Tools menu
will be the easiest method to get a standard DVD. Such discs play any standard home DVD player.
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 02:59 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi All - and thanks for the replies.

To answer your questions

The project is about 90minutes duration.

It was shot in HD 1080, 720 using an EA50 set at 50p and a GH3 at 25p.

The laptop is what I thought was the main problem as far as render time is concerned:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
System Model K53U
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD C-50 Processor, 1000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 216, 26/08/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale Ireland
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.60 GB
Available Physical Memory 434 MB
Total Virtual Memory 5.49 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.02 GB
Page File Space 2.88 GB

Graphics info:
Name AMD Radeon HD 6250 Graphics
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9804&SUBSYS_104C1043&REV_00\3&11583659&2&08
Adapter Type ATI display adapter (0x9804), Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. compatible
Adapter Description AMD Radeon HD 6250 Graphics
Adapter RAM 384.00 MB (402,653,184 bytes)
Installed Drivers aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64 .dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver Version 8.880.0.0
INF File oem11.inf (ati2mtag_Wrestler section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1366 x 768 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32

I'll be investing in a new system next month, so while I can put up with a slow render for now, the quality of the finished file itself isn't up to scratch - especially compared with the original footage off the camera.

As for Don's question regarding: Finally what settings did you use to render to MPG? Was it VBR, 2 pass, did you render the audio to AC3?

I don't know, is the straight answer - but what I can tell you is:

When I burned direct to disc using the 'Burn DVD' function, the output format was Mpeg-2 720 x 576, 16x9 PAL.

After the poor quality of that, I tried rendering as Sony .MXF file - as it stated it matched the project settings. I had to stop this half way through tho, as it was going to be too big a file for my hard drive.

I also tried the 'Render As' function in Vegas, using the 'DVD Architect PAL Video Stream' selection. I'm after burning these successfully to DVD last night using 'Wondershare' but the quality is as bad as the previous 'Burn DVD' option from above.

And there was no sound, but from looking around online I was aware there was another job to be done on that - again the footage is most important.

So, bearing in mind the temporary limitations of the hardware I'm using, as well as my amateur credentials, is there anything any of you can advise?
Attached Thumbnails
Mpeg2 to DVD issues - help needed-gaascreenshot.jpg  
Ryan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 04:17 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:

It was shot in HD 1080, 720 using an EA50 set at 50p and a GH3 at 25p.
Uhm, So 1920x1080 or 1280x720 on the EA50?
Regardless though,
1. Anytime you use a 50p file in a 25 project you must select Disable resample from the switches menu on the clip or it is blurry due to the resampling.
2. Did Vegas interpret your GH3 footage as Progressive or interlaced? I know with my GH2 I have to over ride the interpretation made by Vegas or I lose Horizontal resolution.
3. When you use the Burn disc function it automatically Renders a Lower field first MPG2 file, again loss of horizontal resolution at best, at worst, if your fields at misinterpreted, fields are flipped.
4. While rendering/downsizing from Vegas is not too bad, you can definitely do better. Try this,
render a 1080p file of your project in Lagarith lossless codec (to an external hard drive if your laptop cant cope).
Downsize in virtual dub using the Lanczos resize to Lagarith codec again.
Drag back into Vegas 720x576 Pal widescreen project and render your mpg2 PROGRESSIVE DVD compatible file.
Use in any authoring program to make your DVD.
The first 3 points are important, they are basics, Point 4 onwards is just if you are looking for every bit of quality and sharpness you can get.
YMMV
Old June 13th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice Gerald, I'll have a chance to try those tips out next week. Bought myself a bit of time - Will update how I get on.
Ryan James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...