Not a good day for my Vegas 12 trial at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 4th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Not a good day for my Vegas 12 trial

Based on a response or two from the Sony forum, apparently Vegas 12 does not like Edius Canopus HD avi files.

So I tried to put my original mts files from my Panasonic TM-700 on the timeline. Added a levels filter and a color balance filter.

Tried to render to Windows AVI and it crashed both times I tried.

Do I have to pay extra for some magic to make this work?
Alan Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Not a good day for my Vegas 12 trial

I see the same issues too. Vegas 11 64bit also had the same problems so I think it has something to do with generating HQ files in Edius which is a 32bit program. Maybe this will change with Edius 7. I have Vegas 12 and Vegas 11 ( 32 and 64 ) on the same PC and can confirm flashing and incorrect black levels when a HQ or HQX file created in Edius 6.07 is played in either Vegas 64bit versions 11 or 12 . Works fine in Vegas 11 32bit. Source AVCHD files from my Sony cameras ( NX5U, NX30U, CX700, XR500 or SR11) with Dolby or LPCM 60i or 60P all work fine in Vegas 12

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Vegas Pro 12 is a 64-bit program and so requires 64-bit codecs. Canopus HQ from 32-bit Edius is not valid codec for 64-bit programs.
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

What are valid codecs from Edius 6.08 32-bit? Do none work with a 64-bit program? What about all the files rendered in Vegas 8 32-bit? Is it software dependent rather than 64-bit dependent?
Alan Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Major Player

It's probably more the effects you added. Try the same thing without the effects and see if you crash. I've got a Panasonic TM-900 and the AVCHD files don't crash Vegas themselves. I usually can crash it after adding effects, especially non Sony effects. Maybe try not converting to AVI. I personally haven't seen that much improvement from AVCHD to AVI to warrant the effort.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Henderson View Post
What are valid codecs from Edius 6.08 32-bit? Do none work with a 64-bit program? What about all the files rendered in Vegas 8 32-bit? Is it software dependent rather than 64-bit dependent?
64-bit Canopus software codecs works fine with Vegas for me.
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I think this is a Vegas issue as the files play just fine in Premiere CS6 which is also 64bit on the same PC. The characteristics on my PC are the same for Vegas 11 64bit as Vegas 12 but Vegas 12 sometimes will crash. Vegas 11 will play with flashes and the wrong black level. Vegas 32bit plays them either HQ or HQX. Interestingly on my other PC which has Vegas 10 ( 32 and 64 bit) the files play just fine on both !!! Will now have to find out why they do not play on my main editing PC. Quicktime versions are the same as I checked that first. If I find a solution I will report back.

Ron Evans
Old August 5th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I have done all the Win 7 updates, updated Quicktime, updated my Nvidia drivers and the problem is still there for Vegas 11 64bit and Vegas 12. Of interest is that Vegas is recognizing camera changes as the file is from a 4 camera multicam edit and the black level is too high for my NX5U and NX30U shots but is correct for CX700 and XR500 clips. Very strange as all were shot at 1920x1080, 24Mbps. On this PC I have Edius 6.08, Vegas 12, Vegas 11 ( 32 and 64 bit), Premiere CS6. Vegas 11 32bit, Edius, Premiere as well as Windows Media and Nero all play file correctly only Vegas 64bit has the problem.

Ron Evans
Old August 7th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Henderson View Post
Based on a response or two from the Sony forum, apparently Vegas 12 does not like Edius Canopus HD avi files.

So I tried to put my original mts files from my Panasonic TM-700 on the timeline. Added a levels filter and a color balance filter.

Tried to render to Windows AVI and it crashed both times I tried.

Do I have to pay extra for some magic to make this work?
I can't comment about the Edius, but I have done the above with V12 no problem many times, i.e. put the original mts files from Panny TM900 on the timeline, add a levels filter and color balance and render to Windows AVI, no problem. You may have to choose video format uncompressed, might fail on yuv or 10 bit.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I have just upgraded to Edius 7 which is a 64 bit version only . Exported a HQ file and it plays correctly in Vegas 12 and Vegas 11 64 bit. So I assume that the codecs were reinstalled with this version and Vegas uses them for playback as well as export. Great Problem solved.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...