DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Is this disturbed or what? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/519945-disturbed-what.html)

Kim Olsson November 14th, 2013 11:32 AM

Re: Is this disturbed or what?

Couldnt that be because when Vegas started with gpu acceleration, it was with the 5XX series GTX? You should try some newer graphiccard. My GTX 670 is accelerating certain fx which is supported and also some plugins which are supported. But for rendering, it is to no help at all..
Havent had a crash since 4 month ago. And when that happend, it was a plugin causing it.

Anyway, I look forward to a graphiccard which is 100% compatible and have better performance then the old ones...
Like the new 780Ti or R9 290X..

Ian Stark December 2nd, 2013 09:39 AM

Kim, did you ever get a chance to try out that 290?

Kim Olsson December 2nd, 2013 03:50 PM

Im sorry Ian Stark, I didnt have the guts to try it out.

I did buy the Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti 3GB VRAM, and hoping Vegas will do a big reconstruction in Vegas Pro 13....
Also in "Sony Creative Software forums", I saw someone didnt have such great experience with the R290X...

If Nvidia is sucha powerfull graphic card for Photoshop CC, AE CC, Premiere Pro CC and so on, why couldnt Sony give their suite the same benefits...

I think Sony will reinvent their next suite.

Common, the fastest GPU for VP for now is GTX570 !!!!! =/ Thats a two year old graphiccard...

/happy editing!

Bruce Phung December 8th, 2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock (Post 1820465)
Wouldn't know, I have an AMD with OpenCL and Vegas keeps crashing with GPU acceleration activated.

My AMD XFX HD 6970 2 gb work really well on my system. I have no problem with V11 or V12 and GPU Acceleration and timeline performance is excellent. 3930K @ 5.0Ghz 64gb ddr3 quad 1866mhz..

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...7006&Replies=2

Ian Stark December 9th, 2013 03:30 AM

Hi Kim,

Any report on the 780 Ti? ;-)

Kim Olsson December 10th, 2013 12:57 AM

I havent had so much time editing lately..

But I will in the coming weeks...

Of course I will share with my experience. But from the few hours I have used Vegas pro 12 this far, I havent had a single crash. Neither have I seen any performance boost compare to my older nvidia gtx670. But I keep in touch.

Nicholas de Kock December 10th, 2013 06:57 AM

Apparently according to benchmarks the AMD R9 290x is kicking the nVidia Titan's butt for half the price.

Ian Stark December 10th, 2013 06:28 PM

. . . but it runs extremely hot and very noisy so I have read. It certainly does seem to be a far better card (for the money) than the Titan but I think I am more interested in the 780Ti if it's quieter and cooler. My objective now is stability. Period.

Kim Olsson December 11th, 2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock (Post 1823840)
Apparently according to benchmarks the AMD R9 290x is kicking the nVidia Titan's butt for half the price.

Kicking nvidia Titan in what?..

In games?

Nicholas de Kock December 11th, 2013 03:56 PM

Kim yes all these cards including all the Geforce cards is designed for gaming so yes benchmarks reflect games but here in two with more than games...

AnandTech Portal | The AMD Radeon R9 290X Review
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...s,3663-13.html

Ian Stark December 11th, 2013 04:27 PM

Very interesting reviews, Nicholas, thanks for posting.

Still nothing to show performance and stability (or lack of!) while editing complex multi-format projects though ;-)

I've had an astonishingly good year so I might just try them both out!

Nicholas de Kock December 11th, 2013 05:28 PM

Competition is good for innovation, glad to see AMD giving nVidia a lesson in affordability. I need to upgrade my gfx card in the near future so I'm looking at my options. Buy a Titan @ +/- $999 or a R9 290x with comparable performance @ $560 or two R9 290x in CrossFire @ the same price as a Titan? Choices.

Kim Olsson December 12th, 2013 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock (Post 1824064)
Kim yes all these cards including all the Geforce cards is designed for gaming so yes benchmarks reflect games but here in two with more than games...

AnandTech Portal | The AMD Radeon R9 290X Review
Results (OpenCL): GPGPU Benchmarks - Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti Review: GK110, Fully Unlocked

I already link the first url in my previous post...

The second link only show the 780ti in syntetic benchmark for compute performance (I doubt any of us will by if for crack some passwords or care for unusable graphs) and how it performs in bitmining and have none real world application truth.

There is a guy in sony vegas forum bought the r9 290x, but didnt sems to be all that despite the graphs from anandtech..
Faster render? Well maybe for some container/format but what about accelerating live time editing performance?

I will test out my 780 ti soon and I will also test it for VP13 in near future.. great to see some realtime performane benchmark for r9 290x for VP12

Nicholas de Kock December 12th, 2013 02:10 AM

Keep us posted Kim, would like to hear about your experience with the 780 Ti. Sometimes I wonder if GPU Acceleration actually makes a notable difference in renders or if it's more a CPU orientated process. Considering the price of a decent graphics card I probably should have considered getting the Intel i7 4960X with 64Gb of Ram instead.

Kim Olsson December 12th, 2013 05:58 AM

That would be true...

A six core cpu with 12 threads is a 100% bet of performance boost to your editing software, in both rendering speed and faster project preview framerates.. and a higher cpu clock is equal to more horsepower!

But for application from adobe, gpu acceleration is a lot more effective. If adobe can, Sony can..

So hoping much from VP13...

And from my view of point, 4930k for half the price over the 4960x, would be a better buy. Just clock your cpu for yourself.

Of course I will return with more numbers and information about my experience with my Gigabyte 780 ti.